ENG-BLACK-COUNTRY-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-BLACK-COUNTRY > 2006-04 > 1146423664

From: "Pat Hayward" <>
Subject: Walsall Leather Workers. Links between BRK & STS.
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 20:05:17 +0100

Rogers reply to Graham referred to workers coming to Walsall from Berkshire
and gave a possible explanation that they might be looking for work in the
leather industry.
Walsall Leather Museum's Web pages
http://www.walsall.gov.uk/index/leisure_and_culture/leathermuseum/leatherworkers
contain some very good lists of leather workers. There are 48 names,
occupations and addresses listed from the 1801 Walsall Census.
Another list dated 1813 comes from Thomas Pearce's "History & Directory of
Walsall 1813" and then two more lists from the 1841 and the 1861 Census.
Manufacturers are listed for 1900 and 1925.
Regards
Pat.