ENG-CAMBRIDGESHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-CAMBRIDGESHIRE > 2008-01 > 1199323885

From: Gen Mail 2 <>
Subject: Re: [ENG-CAMS] Arthur Gray - Wisbech
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 01:31:25 +0000

If I've worked this out correctly:
Arthur GRAY and Maria BARRETT married in the December quarter of 1902
in the Wisbech Registration district:

That means their date of marriage could have been 1st September to
31st December inclusive - it could even have been the last portion of
August of that year - depending upon the date the marriage was
notified to GRO.

Secondly their place of marriage could be any of the following:

from <http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/wisbech.html>;

Registration County : Cambridgeshire.
Created : 1.7.1837.
Sub-districts : Leverington; Terrington St. Clement; Upwell; Walpole
St. Peter; Walsoken; Wisbech (St. Peter).
GRO volumes : XIV (1837-51); 3b (1852-1946) ...

The list is:
Clenchwarton, Elm, Emneth, Leverington, Marshaland St James, Newton,
Outwell (both bits), Parson Drove, Terrington St Clement, Terrington
St John, Tilney All Saints, Tilney St Lawrence, Tilney with
Islington, Tydd St Giles, Upwell (both bits), Walpole St Andrew,
Walpole St Peter, Walsoken, Walsoken Hungate, West Walton, Wisbech St
Mary and Wisbech St Peter.

These places are variously in Cambridgeshire and Norfolk (the two
"both bits" sit astride the border!).

You could be chasing red herrings without the marriage certificate!
JK