ENG-CUL-COPELAND-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-CUL-COPELAND > 2009-07 > 1248384009

From: "Chris Dickinson" <>
Subject: Re: [CUL-COP] John SCOTT, excise officer 1801
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 22:20:09 +0100

Edgar Iredale wrote:

> Would that be PENRICE? Somewhere I have a death notice for a Penrice but
> I'm not aware of any family connection.

Of course, it's PENRICE! And they seem to be Workington, Whitehaven and
Distington. Thanks, Edgar.

> I have an interest in Sarah Scott b./bap. 14Mar1810 - my gg grandmother
> who married John Iredale 1832.
> I think her father was Isaac Scott bap. 3Feb1765 at Brigham son of John &
> Martha Scott. This comes from some notes held by another branch of my
> people.Where the notes were copied from I don't know.
<snip>
> As to LANCASTER it seems Dinah Iredale of the Workington Brewery family
> married a John Lancaster 1829 at Threlkeld but I don't suppose that has
> anything to do with this.

There aren't that many native Scott families in this part of the world, and
the use of Isaac might suggest a link.

My Scotts in Branthwaite were brewers, and the Peiles were brewers; and I
think these families marry within very limited circles. So I'm inclined to
look at any potential connection like this as worth pursuing.

Chris

This thread: