ENG-DERBYSHIRE-CHESTERFIELD-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-DERBYSHIRE-CHESTERFIELD > 2006-09 > 1157279479

From: "charlie grey" <>
Subject: [ENG-DERBYSHIRE-CHESTERFIELD] George Marsden - Norton & Dronfield
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 11:31:19 +0100

Hi Everyone,

I am seeking any information on the baptism and burial of George Marsden,
thought to be the seventh son of Joseph Marsden, Cordwainer and his wife
Hannah, nee Booth. George was born in Norton, Derbyshire about 1843, but to
the best of my knowledge, his birth was not registered. It would appear that
the first nine children, who were born before 1837, were baptised in Norton
in groups.

Of the four children born after 1837, one appears to have died shortly after
birth, and niether her birth nor death appears to have been registered, the
birth of two sisters appear to be registered, but not George's birth. The
latter four children do not appear to have been baptised at Norton, although
they were born there.

George married Emma Beverley in 1874, and appears to have settled in
Dronfield, as it was here that they appear on the 1881 census. In 1885 his
widow, Emma remarried, but I cannot find the registration of George's death.
I assume he died in Dronfield between 1881 and 1885, and may have been
buried there.

His parents, Joseph and Hannah Marsden, moved to Lower Heeley, Nether
Hallam, and it thought that Joseph died there in the 1st Qtr of 1863, whilst
Hannah is thought to have died there either in the 2nd Qtr of 1862 or the
1st Qtr of 1864. Where is Lower Heeley or Nether Hallam, and where were they
likely to have been buried?

Can anyone help me? Any information on any of the above would be
appreciated.

Many thanks.

This thread: