ENG-DUR-SUNDERLAND-L ArchivesArchiver > ENG-DUR-SUNDERLAND > 2003-06 > 1055599005
Subject: Re: [SUNDERLAND] Malings Rig(g)
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:56:45 EDT
In a message dated 14/06/2003 08:19:15 GMT Daylight Time,
> According to the directories there were churches, chapels and pubs there.
In Maling's Rig, at different periods, there were two nonconformist
churches/chapels, a Presbyterian Church, and a Primitive Methodist Chapel, which was
there in 1902.
The Tyne & Wear Archive Service has the Presbyterian records 1796-1879, and
the IGI, [under Malling Riggs] 1758-1860,
The nearest anglican churches were Holy Trinity Parish Church , and
St. John's .
In the 1881 Census 38 inhabited houses were listed with about 448 occupants,
there are four 'unhinabited' properties which could be pubs. In 1894 a
Britannia Inn is shown at No. 25, but it is not listed in 'The Old Pubs of
Sunderland.' In 1896 there were 144 public houses in the area, and 51 brothels.
Maling's Rig is shown on the 1780s Sunderland Plan, but it could have been
there much earlier.
William Maling, who established the North Hylton Pottery, lived at Hendon
Lodge in the 1760s, so the name may be associated with his family, and 'rig'
could be associated with ships rigging, but you need someone who has access to
more extensive records than I have.
In the area originally there were large spacious houses with grounds
surrounding them, overlooking the Moor and the sea. The most respectable residents had
their large houses at the east end of High Street, and on the edge of the
Moor, Silver Street and Fitters Row once housed the elite of the town.
But the increased prosperity of the Industrial Revolution and the Napoleonic
Wars, led to large influx of people, and the building of new property. This
end of the town became a warren of narrow streets, with tall three story
buildings jammed close together to fit in as many as possible, little space was
allowed for yards or back streets.
Between 1800 and 1831 three hundred houses were added to Sunderland, and the
average density was at least nine people to each house.
Prosperous people moved out to cleaner and quieter areas to the west, and the
area degenerated into tenements, and cheap lodging houses to cater for the
Houses were built back to back, yards were so covered in buildings 'as
seriously to interfere with the ventilation and lighting of the dreary dwellings,
and make the provision of needful sanitary conveniences a practical
A block of five houses in Maling's Rig had 20 families of 83 people living in
24 rooms; another of ten had 166 in 62 rooms. In 1894-1896 infant mortality
was 30.3 per thousand in the East End compared with 21.2 in the rest of the
The whole area was demolished in the slum clearances of the twentieth
Most of the above is from 'Sunderland - River, Town and People' published by
Sunderland Borough Council in 1988.
Regards Stan Mapstone