ENG-LAN-BOLTON-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-LAN-BOLTON > 2009-04 > 1239276412

From: Valerie lirakis <>
Subject: Re: [ENG-LAN-BOLTON] 1914 Volunteers at Bark Street
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 12:26:52 +0100

Hi Jonathan,

I've searched the Kelly's Directory for 1905 and 1924, and the only
building that appears likely to have been used in Bark Street was the
Bolton Lads' Club - not sure if this building still exists, but I
would doubt it, as there has been a lot of redevelopment in that area
in recent years.

I'm sure Bolton Archives would be able to help - there would very
likely be other newspapers (i.e. Bolton Evening News) that would
carry details of recruitment.

Valerie

2009/4/7 Jonathan Ball <>:

> Hi everyone.
> Whilst researching the Great War Service of several of my relatives I found in a September 1914 edition of the Bolton Journal an article which mentioned how the volunteers enlisted at Bark Street in the town centre. Walking along Bark Street on Sunday I realised how little of the buildings that may have been around at the time, if any, remain. Does anyone have pictures of or know where the men would have enlisted?
> Thanks and best wishes
> Jonathan.

This thread: