ENG-LAN-BOLTON-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-LAN-BOLTON > 2009-05 > 1241363662

From: Trevor <>
Subject: Re: [ENG-LAN-BOLTON] Business Archives
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 01:14:22 +1000

2009/5/3 Jim Riding <>:

> Hi Trevor,
> post office directory of Bolton 1876/77 might be of help, what was the
> business named?

Hello Jim,

Unfortunately for me, the business was in other hands by the time of
the 1876/1877 Post Office Directory. It seems to have been sold
before the 1871 Census.

I have a photocopy of an advertisement from page 1 of the 'Bolton
Chronicle' for 28th April 1866 which gives the name of the business.
It traded under the name of James Morris, Chemist, Family Grocer and
Wine Merchant at 26 Deansgate.

Morris died the following year - December 1867 - and I can find no
reference to his very large family in the 1871 Census either in Bolton
or anywhere else in England. (There are many people with likely
names, but nothing convincing.) I can only account for the three sons
known to have emigrated to Australia in 1852.

It's something of a brick wall for me, to find where his widow and
childrene were, although by the 1881 census I have found the widow,
one son and a daugher in Bristol. The rest seem to have vanished!

No clues in Morris's Will or Probate records either.

I will have another search for directories.

Thanks again, Jim

Trevor
(Melbourne)

This thread: