ENG-LANCS-PRESTON-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-LANCS-PRESTON > 2010-10 > 1285970207

From: <>
Subject: [ENG-LANCS-PRESTON] BRADLEY Little Hulton
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 17:56:53 -0400

Listers,
I have recently registered with these lists, although I have been subscribed
to the Eng-Lancs and Eng-Cheshire lists for some time and have previously
posted my conundrum
there. I'm looking for records to help break a brick wall, and I am writing
from
Pennsylvania.
I've been dancing around trying to find ANY
online records that can prove the relationships I describe herein. I have
combed the FreeBMDs, LDS records, and the Lancs & Cheshire OPCs using
various combinations. Yet its possible that the records do not exist online,
and perhaps never will.

Mary Howard/Howarth married to John BRADLEY.
Alice/Alyce Howard/Howarth married to William BRADLEY.
These 2 couples live closeby each other in 1850 Pennsylvania USA census.
William was born abt 1813 in Lancashire per his US Naturalization papers
found in Pennsylvania.
I've found no mention of where John, Mary, Alice were born to further
anything but "England". Nor have I been able to find where or exactly when
they married.

I cannot prove, but I believe that Alice Howard Bradley and Mary Howard were
sisters. I believe they had a brother Edward Howard who settled in
Steubenville Ohio. All references to
these 3 siblings that have been found in the USA say only "born in England".
I cannot prove but am willing to consider that Howard may be Howarth or some
variation.
I cannot prove, but I believe that John and William Bradley were brothers.
John Bradley and his wife Mary Howard remained in the US and died there, she
c.1850-1860. He 1890. John names two children in his Will, who upon
investigation in the death certs of those adult children, William and Alice
Howard Bradley are named as
their true parents, and that they were born in the UK (estimated time period
1839-1844).

I have so far been unable to find and prove the location of the marriage of
either couple, John & Mary Howard Bradley or William and Alice Howard
Bradley whether in UK or US.

William BRADLEY returns to the UK sometime after the 1860 US census, and his
wife Alice, 60y,
(est. born 1809) dies in Hazel Grove, Stockport, Cheshire on 13 Sept 1869,
buried in Chapelry of Norbury Cemetery. Her death cert says she is the wife
of William Bradley, retired coal proprietor,( true). Nothing I have found
leads to her place of birth.
William BRADLEY, 54y, gentleman widower, remarries 13 July 1870 to Ellen
(nee Seddon) Hardman,
54y, widow, in the Chapelry of St. James, Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire.
Parents were noted to be Thomas Bradley, miner, and Thomas Seddon, miner.

William Bradley and 2nd wife Ellen are found on 1871 census image in
RG10/3667 Hazelgrove, Norbury, St.Thomas, and indicates he was born in
Little Hulton,
Lancs, she in Woodley or Woolsey Cheshire.
I have found a possible birth/baptism record on the Lancashire OPC site for
William Bradley. Baptisms: 24 Mar 1815 Peel Chapel, Little Hulton,
Lancashire,
England: William Bradley - Son of Thomas Bradley & Mary, Abode: Little
Hulton, Occupation: Collier, Baptised by: W. Allen P. Curate, Register:
Baptisms 1813 - 1830, Page 21, Entry 167, Source: LDS Film 1885713.
Per the same Lancs OPC site, I find a record for a possible sibling of
William, a sister Nancy born 10 July 1810. But nothing for a brother John,
born est 1810-1811. I've found no good hit for a marriage or death of Thomas
Bradley.

I have found factual evidence that John Bradley travelled back to the UK in
1881 to "seek an inheritance that may have been left by his brother". John
is found in the 1881 census RG11/4054 Dukinfield Staleybridge as a visitor
with James and Mary Ellen Hobson. Why them? Were they strangers? John
returned to the US via steerage later in 1881 (no fortune?). My William
left no Will, yet his widow Ellen is noted to be an annuitant in 1881
census.

There are a number of FreeBMD marriage index entries
for William and Alice Bradley that look promising, but I'd go broke sending
for them without
more facts from the full record. For instance, some of the US census images
show Alice to be slightly older
than William; this makes me wonder if William was her second husband. Could
she have been related to the Hobson mentioned above? I've found no good OPC
marriage hits.

Sorry to be so word-y. Does anyone on the addressed lists have any info to
help me?
Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Bella

This thread: