ENG-LIN-AXHOLME-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-LIN-AXHOLME > 2003-02 > 1044790008

From: "Sheila Wilson" <>
Subject: [AXHOLME] ALTERNATIVES TO GIVEN NAMES
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 11:27:00 -0000

Hi Foax,

I have kept this offering from Pauline on my hard drive, tidied it up a bit
to make it a little more presentable as a word document. I will also add to
it as and when any of you point out that you have another 'alias' or
'endearment' to add to the list. I too have added a couple of my own, from
what I know from my own family. I would imagine that many terms of
endearment may well be regional too. For example my own grandmother's name
was Ellen (not Helen) but was known as Nellie or Nell, a sister of her's was
named Frances but was known as Fanny and not Fran. Their mother was called
Amanda but was never referred to as Mandy, which I suspect is fairly
modern.One thing that did strike me was that the list of male names of
endearment was much shorter than the female list.

Cheers
Sheila Wilson
North Lincolnshire U.K.
Listowner for ENG-LIN-AXHOLME