ENG-LINCSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-LINCSGEN > 1999-11 > 0942619030

From: Rinehart <>
Subject: Thanks for the info on GedComs
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 1999 15:37:10 -0700

Thanks to the great help in reading GedComs, that several of you have
given
me, I've been able to take one more step toward computer literacy.You
are a
great group! By the way I am researching WAKELIN and BLANCHARD families
in Lincolnshire in the Louth area.
Ginny R.

> #10 NON-GEN: Please Help Save Hornsea ["Ken Dodson" <]
> #11 test ["Susie Broadbent" <]
> #12 Fw: GedCom files ["David Meredith" <david_meredith@b]
> #13 Fw: The Gout surname ["Peter Gout" <.]
> Administrivia:
> To unsubscribe from ENG-LINCSGEN-D, send a message to
> that contains in the body of the message the command
> unsubscribe
> and no other text. No subject line is necessary, but if your software
> requires one, just use unsubscribe in the subject, too.
> Subject: JESSOP
> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 16:12:18 -0000
> From: "Derek Roome" <>
> Hello Lincsgen
> My name is Derek Roome and I am researching the JESSOP
> family name.
> My trail started in Derby, led to Salford, Lancs and now I am heading your
> way!
> I have a ALBERT JESSOP born in Leake, Lincs 1851 and married to Mary
> Goulding who was born in Navenby, Lincs 1851.
> Albert was a son of a FIELDS JESSOP who was married to SARAH YOUNG ( I
> think!).
> I would be grateful for any information and happy to share what I have.
> Thanks
> Derek
> Subject: ROBINSON/SCOTT
> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 15:53:50 +0200
> From: "Max & Carol Scott" <>
> Would appreciate any help in my search for descendants of Percy ROBINSON, from Welbourn who married Margaret SCOTT in Brant Broughton in 1942.
> As a new boy to the list maybe I can post my main surname interests, they are:
> SCOTT - Brant Broughton, Coleby, Wellingore, Notts etc.
> BECKETT - Brant Broughton.
> SQUIRES - Wellingore, Fulbeck, Ancaster, Hough on the Hill, Rauceby etc.
> RAWDON - Coleby
> POWELSMITH - Wellingore.
> KELLEY - Leadenham.
> GOULSON - Skegness.
> JONES - Barnby in Willows.
> GRAVES - Brant Broughton, Winthorpe, Collingham.
> Many thanks.
> Max Scott
> Subject: GedCom files
> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 09:45:28 -0700
> From: Rinehart <>
> If you are able to provide information about how to download the GedCom
> files I hope you will put it on the list as I too am having
> trouble.(There is more than one dunce out here). I tried and when I
> tried to open it, I was told by this infernal machine that the file was
> empty???? Thanks Ginny R.
> Subject: 1891 Census - HERRICK & KILLNER
> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 17:11:55 -0000
> From: "Sheila Richards" <>
> How I wish there was a national index for the 1891 index! I've
> accounted for virtually all my relatives in 1881 but lose them after
> that. In particular my great-grandparents Ernest Alfred KILLNER and
> Eliza Frances HERRICK.
> Ernest (b1873) was last seen living with his family in Nuthurst,
> Sussex in 1881 while Eliza (b1873) was living with her family in
> Bracebridge, Lincs. They then seem to disappear until they marry in
> 1897 in Bracebridge - although their families remain around the home
> areas in 1891. Family legend has it that they met whilst working at
> Shugborough Hall in Staffordshire and they certainly worked there
> between 1903-1912 (according to their children's birth certificates)
> but there doesn't seem to be any trace of them there (in fact
> Shugborough Hall have no records of them being there at all!)
> I have no idea whether they were together or separate or whether they
> were in Lincolnshire, Sussex or somewhere completely different! If
> anybody sees them, I'd love to know!
> Sheila Richards
> http://www.srichards.freeserve.co.uk/genealog.htm
> Surnames;
> Sussex
> KILLNER (Horsham), HOLLAND (Warnham & Slinfold)
> PENFOLD (Horsham), WHITINGTON (Rudgwick)
> Lincolnshire
> BEESTON (Moulton), BLACKSHAW (Swineshead & Wigtoft),
> BRUCE (Bicker & Wigtoft), COTHAM (Langton & Nettleham), DAYBELL
> (Aslackby),
> FARROW (Thornton Curtis), FRITH (Ludford & Benniworth), GRUNDY
> (Welton & Nettleham), HAITH (Tetney),
> HAM (Aslackby), HERRICK (Lincoln & Notts.), HICKINGBOTHAM
> (Bracebridge), KILLNER (Bracebridge)
> MARSH (Nettleham), ROOK (Washingborough & Branston), ROWSON (Ludford &
> Burwell),
> SAWYER (Sudbrooke& Nettleham), WRIGHT (Holbeach & Moulton),
> This message written off-line (of course)
> Subject: Re: GedCom files
> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 17:42:56 -0000
> From: "Jan Hart" <>
> Ginny
> If your file was empty maybe you didn't tick the selection boxes before
> downloading? You can find notes to help you search the LGS IGI and download
> GEDCOMs on my page at http://janhart.net/ged.htm
> Hope this helps
> Jan Hart
> Searching HART, Grimsby, Lincs
> SPASHETT, Grimsby, Lincs
> GRESSWELL
> From: Rinehart <>
> Sent: 13 November 1999 16:45
> Subject: GedCom files
> > If you are able to provide information about how to download the GedCom
> > files I hope you will put it on the list as I too am having
> > trouble.(There is more than one dunce out here). I tried and when I
> > tried to open it, I was told by this infernal machine that the file was
> > empty???? Thanks Ginny R.
> > ==== ENG-LINCSGEN Mailing List ====
> > To unsubscribe from LIST mode, post a message to:
> > with the one word : unsubscribe : in the body of the message
> Subject: WATTAM
> Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 20:52:08 +0000
> From: Ted Nobbs <>
> Hi,
> My ancestor John Cox married Jane WHATHAM in S Kelsey in1799.
> Jane was born in Waddingham in 1773. Her mother was Ann WATTAM. Her
> father may have been Francis MAJOR who was down as the father of another
> of Ann's children.
> Any possibility of a connection?
> Ted Nobbs in Scarboro.
> wrote:
> > Hi Folks,
> > Here`s my surname interests, anybody got any connection with any of them.
> > WATTAM, Great Sturton, Hemingby, Anytime.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Subject: [LIN] WHELPTON / WELPTON - Lincs / Yorks - anywhere!
> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 18:00:37 -0000
> From: "David Meredith" <>
> Dear List
> Are there any Whelpton researchers out there primarily with an interest in Lincs or possibly over the Humber round Hull or Sculcoates who might have come across a......
> William Whelpton born 1836 son of Thomas Whelpton
> or alternatively had any trace of a...
> Thomas Whelpton having issue around that time.....
> which might provide a lead.
> As you can imagine this surname is subject to all sorts of variations - even plain Welton.
> Struggling to locate William's origins - as a single man he had arrived in Canada by 1870 - no county of origin provided in the Canadian census returns, and no family knowledge.
> Any leads gratefully received - thanks in advance.
> Subject: Carlton Road/ 1881 census
> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 18:12:10 -0000
> From: "Jeffrey Ashberry" <>
> Syd
> Carlton Road still exists as does No17,but I am not sure if it is the same
> No 17 that existed in 1881.
> No 12 is listed in the census and some friends of mine now reside at No12
> and they told me this afternoon that it wasn't built until 1900, so perhaps
> as more houses were built, re-numbering took place.
> Certainly I don't think that the present No 17 could have accomodated 7
> families. I thought perhaps that No 17 was a large house,recently
> demolished, called ALLEN HOUSE, but I noticed from the census that this was
> occupied by the Town Clerk of the time.
> I can only think that perhaps that this was a mistake in the transcribing,
> as I noticed that there were a lot of births attributed to Boston
> Cambridge,or that there was another large dwelling in Carlton road that has
> since been demolished to make way for the new houses built around the turn
> of the century,
> I will go the Library to see if I can find an 1881 map of the area, although
> thinking about it I may have one lurking about in the loft. I will let you
> know.
> Regards
> Jeff Ashberry
> Subject: THE SUMMERFIELDS
> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 18:36:45 -0000
> From: "calvin leighton" <>
> Hi Listers, does anyone have any Information regarding the surname of SUMMERFIELD between 1875 thru present day?
> and whether there is any connection with Nottinghamshire
> and/or Bedfordshire? any Information appreciated. thank you.
> Calvin Leighton. .
> surname interests are
> PLUMB and SUMMERFIELD.
> Subject: NON-GEN: Please Help Save Hornsea Conservation Area
> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 19:04:24 -0000
> From: "Ken Dodson" <>
> Hello fellow genealogy listers around the world,
> Firstly, please accept my apologies for posting this to the Genealogy list.
> To anyone who knows, loves or has visited Hornsea here in the Holderness
> area of the East Riding of Yorkshire - the local authority (East Riding of
> Yorkshire Council) has overridden the views and objections of the local
> community of our beloved town and given planning permission for a
> development which will literally 'rape' the conservation area within our
> town centre, opposite our award-winning folk museum and adjacent to our
> ancient parish church of St Nicholas. This development will mean the
> complete destruction of a large number of beautiful trees including a 50'
> copper birch, the destruction of the associated wildlife habitat and also
> seriously risk undermining an adjacent Victorian listed folly (Bettisons
> Tower).
> Once again, as in the nearby town of Beverley, this local authority is
> completely ignoring the wishes of the residents and ignoring the ideals of
> democracy and accountability - we have sent petitions and protests to both
> the council and the Secretary of State BUT to no avail whatsoever. we have
> now formed an action committee to try and fight these town hall dictators
> and are trying to enlist support locally, nationally and internationally.
> If you would like to show your support for our conservation area then I
> would be sincerely grateful if you would send a simple Email message to the
> ERYC:
> Email:
> Stating that you "Support the Hornsea Willows-Site Action Committee and
> request that the current proposed development is halted and that proper due
> consultation is undertaken with the representatives of the community"
> Kindest Regards,
> Ken Dodson
> Hornsea
> East Yorkshire
> "Families are Forever"
> Researching:
> MAGSON: Huttons Ambo & Hull (YKS)
> DENMAN: Hull (YKS) & Retford area(NTT)
> BRIER: Hull & Whitby (YKS) & Scotland
> DODSON: Anywhere in England
> SEWELL: Hull (YKS) & Gainsborough (LIN)
> ELVIN: Hull (YKS) & Ireland
> MARLOW: Hull & Scarborough (YKS)
> Also
> Mormon Emigration YKS to USA (BRIER/WALKER/BROUGH)
> Also
> From: David Meredith <>
> To: Jan Hart <>
> Sent: Saturday, November 13, 1999 6:14 PM
> Subject: Re: GedCom files
> > Ginny
> > Just a thought - assuming you have ticked the selection boxes for those
> > results that you wish to save as a gedcom file - and also assuming you
> have
> > hit the 'Download' bar - you should then get a screen with a 'YES' / 'NO'
> > option asking whether the 'Download' was successful or not.
> > It can appear at first that nothing is happening and you might have been
> > tempted to hit the 'NO' tag too soon.
> > Be patient once this screen comes up and eventually you should get a
> Windows
> > box with 'Save this file to disk' or 'Open from this location <sorry,
> can't
> > remember the exact wording> - at this stage select 'save to disk' and
> > onscreen prompts - I have found that the files save very quickly from this
> > point on which then puts you in a position to hit the 'Yes' or 'No' tab
> > referred to above
> > David Meredith (Nottingham)
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: Jan Hart <>
> > To: <>
> > Sent: Saturday, November 13, 1999 5:42 PM
> > Subject: Re: GedCom files
> > > Ginny
> > > If your file was empty maybe you didn't tick the selection boxes before
> > > downloading? You can find notes to help you search the LGS IGI and
> > > > If you are able to provide information about how to download the
> GedCom
> > > > files I hope you will put it on the list as I too am having
> > > > trouble.(There is more than one dunce out here). I tried and when I
> > > > tried to open it, I was told by this infernal machine that the file
> was
> > > > empty???? Thanks Ginny R.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > ==== ENG-LINCSGEN Mailing List ====
> > > > To unsubscribe from LIST mode, post a message to:
> > > >
> > > > with the one word : unsubscribe : in the body of the message
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> > > ==== ENG-LINCSGEN Mailing List ====
> > > Wherever possible (except for personal messages)
> > > please post replies to the list.
> > > Other people can learn from them!
> > >
> Subject: Fw: The Gout surname
> Date: Sat, 13 Nov 1999 07:41:18 -0000
> From: "Peter Gout" <>
> No but I shall give it a try. Thanks for the info.
> Peter
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Carol J. Markillie <>
> To: Peter Gout <>
> Date: 13 November 1999 00:33
> Subject: Re: The Gout surname
> >Hi Peter:
> >Have you checked out the LDS site lately? It has been redone and is easier
> >to use with a lot more source information available. If you click on Family
> >History, I think, it goes to the "next page" where you will see "location"
> >and "film number" etc. on the box descriptions - I'd give it a try.
> >Carol