ENG-LINCSGEN-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-LINCSGEN > 2002-04 > 1018040061

From: "John Emerson" <>
Subject: Re: [LIN] Contemporary Biographies of Lincolnshire 1907 - Gentry & Magistrates
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 21:54:21 +0100

Hi (again for) Angela !

> Sorry just going through the archives as I have been away and unsubbed for a
> few weeks, but I have found another couple I am interested in please........
> This time all related. So, if you have the time, I would really appreciate
> anything there is on the following:
>
> Admiral Claude Edward BUCKLE
> Edward Thesiger Frankland HOOD
> William Rochford PORTER
> Colonel Charles Arthur SWAN C.M.G., M.A., J.P.

Details as follows:

Admiral Claude Edward BUCKLE, Red House, Raithby; son of the late Rev. Matthew George Hughes BUCKLE,
Vicar of Edlingham, Northumberland. Entered the navy, August, 1852; cadet of H.M.S. "Leander" ; served in
Black Sea during Crimean war (Crimean and Turkish Medals and one clasp); joined "Inflexible", 1856;
"Calcutta", 1857; and "Magicienne" as Acting Lieutenant, 1859 (mentioned in Dispatches), China Medal with
three clasps; A.D.C. to the late Queen Victoria, 1889-92; Captain Senior Naval Officer at Gibraltar,
1889-92; Admiral in Command and Senior Officer Irish Coast, 1895-98; Royal Humane Society's Medal;
retired August 12th, 1902; member of Shakespeare Masonic Lodge, No. 426. Married Elizabeth Preston,
youngest daughter of the late Rev. George KENNARD, and has issue: Claude Preston; Matthew Percival; Hugh
Charles; and one daughter, Elsie Mary.

Edward Thesiger Frankland HOOD, Nettleham Hall, Lincoln; eldest son of Sinclair Frankland HOOD, J.P., of
Nettleham Hall; born at Nettleham Hall, January 5th, 1880; educated at Bradfield College, and the Royal
Military Academy, Woolwich. Lieutenant Royal Horse Artillery, 1901. Married, July 16th, 1906, Marjorie,
only daughter of Edward DALGLISH, of Wellesbourne, Warwick. Club: Junior Naval and Military.

William Rochford PORTER, Willoughby House, Fishtoft, Boston; son of Edward Clarke PORTER, of Rochford
Tower, Fishtoft, Boston; born at Rochford Tower, 1851; educated at Oundle Grammer School. Alderman of the
Holland County Council; a Commissioner of the Court of Sewers; a Commissioner of the fourth District
Drainage; Chairman of Fishtoft Parish Council. Married Harriett, daughter of the late Edward SMITH, of
South Square, Boston, who died, leaving issue William Edward, farmer, of Littleworth, near Spalding;
Leonard, partner in the firm of Paine, Brittell and Porter, solicitors, Chertsey, Surrey; and one
daughter, Edith, married to the Rev. Cecil Lowe HOPPER, Vicar of Hillesden, Bucks. Clubs: London
Lincolnshire Society.

Colonel Charles Arthur SWAN C.M.G., M.A., J.P., Sausthorpe Hall, Spilsby; son of the late Rev. C.
Trollope SWAN, LL.B.; born October 3rd, 1854; educated at Eton, and Magdalen College, Oxford; Demy; B.A.,
1878; M.A., 1881. Commanded 3rd Batt. Lincolnshire Regiment from 1900; served with it in South Africa;
C.M.G.; Queen's Medal, two clasps; Hon. Lieut.-Colonel in Army; Justice of the Peace for parts of
Lindsey; High Sheriff, 1895; Alderman of Lindsey County Council; Chairman of Spilsby Board of Guardians;
member of County Licensing Committee; one of the Representatives of Lincoln Diocese on the Representative
Church Council; member of Canterbury House of Laymen; a Diocesan Trustee. Married, in 1885, Ethel, only
daughter of Colonel F.I. CONWAY-GORDON, of Lynwode Manor, Market Rasen, and has issue one son, Charles
Francis Trollope, born in 1887, and two daughters, Marjorie, born in 1886, and Nancy, born in 1895. Club:
United University.

I hope all these details help to some extent, again photo's are available for all the above, if I can get
the relevant page into the scanner.

Best wishes
John

This thread: