ENG-LIVERPOOL-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-LIVERPOOL > 2001-06 > 0992642349

From: "J A Olsen" <>
Subject: Re: [ENG-LIV] Ships chandlers/provisioners stores in Liverpool ports c1880-1900
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 21:59:09 +0000

The HOLSTS were apparently in the same business in the same time period, but
I have yet to find any record of them.

The 19thC had boom and bust just like the 20thC.

A rough kind is building activity - and I think there was a building slump
in the late 1880s.

Also some kind of depression just before the first world war - wasn't that
the date of the Ragged Trousered Philanthropist??"? Remember how the bosses
kept cutting a penny off the wages?

Another guide of course is that after a depression you usually get a war,
which cuts unemployment, increases manufacturing demand and makes the
population more amenable to economic controls.

Judy