ENG-LIVERPOOL-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-LIVERPOOL > 2005-02 > 1108637225

From: "Gordon W Evans" <>
Subject: Re: [ENG-LIV] St Philips Church Liverpool
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:47:05 -0000

I would appreciate it if any response to this one could be posted to the
list,
please.

I have two marriages in Liverpool St Philip (one in 1840 the other in 1860),
both involving Hoylake fisherfolk families. It intrigues me as to why they
chose
to wed in such a seemingly obscure
church rather than St Nicholas, which was the usual Mecca for
their Wirral contemporaries who (for whatever reason) decided not to marry
in Hoylake or West Kirby.

Regards
Gordon Evans

>Dear Listers
>Does anyone know where St Philip's Church is or was. I have a >marriage
>there in 1854 and the place of residence for the Bride and groom >are
>difficult to read. I thought perhaps knowing what area the >church was
>located may give me a clue to the streets. One street Blake or >Baker. The
>other looks a bit like Labyrinth Street. I have looked at two >Liverpool
>Church sites but they did not have a specific location. Any >help would
be
>wonderful
>Rosemary (Brisbane Australia)

This thread: