ENG-LIVERPOOL-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-LIVERPOOL > 2006-02 > 1140126508

From: Fred H Held <>
Subject: Re: Joseph MOORHOUSE, 1861 and 1871 census
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:48:28 -0600

At 03:00 AM 2/16/2006, you wrote:
>From: "Paul & Val Matthews" <>
>Subject: Help Needed
>
>Hi all again,
>
> I'm having problems tracing a couple of rellies!. When Ancestry
> allowed us to look at earlier census issues free of chrage I found
> them. But now I can look at the 1881 Census I can't.
>Their names are;
>George Moorhouse born 1856 Liverpool, Lancs
>Sarah Moorhouse born 1860 Liverpool Lancs.
>
>I know their parents, these were;
>Joseph Moorhouse, born 1823 Kirkburton, Yorkshire
>Sarah Moorhouse born 1829 Halifax, Yorkshire.
>
>They settled in the Liverpool are before their first child was born
>(William 1851) and they subsequently had six more children;
>Harriet born 1854
>George born 1856
>Benjamin born 1859
>Sarah born 1860
>Joseph born 1865
>James born 1867
>It is George and Sarah who I have lost trace of.
>In the 1881 Census, Jospeh and James are living with their widowed
>mother at 6 Ward Street, Liverpool. Eldest son William is married
>and living at 51 Viola St, Bootle. Harriet is married to James
>Williams and is living at 22 Holborn St, West Derby and Benjamin is
>living at 18 Bridport St, Liverpool with his wife, Margaret.
>
>Does any KS have access to the 1861 and 1871 Census?. I would love
>to know where George and Sarah got to (They don't appear in the 1881
>Census or 1901 Census, but of course Sarah may have married and
>changed her name).

In 1861 the family is living at 6 Ward Street (pg26 ED4 Islington
Liverpool LAN).
Joseph Moorhouse, 37, Stone mason, Kirkburton, Yorkshire
Sarah, 32, Halifax, Yorkshire
Mary Ann, 12, Liverpool
William H., 10, Liverpool
Harriet, 7, Liverpool
George, 5, Liverpool
Benjamin, 2, Liverpool
Sarah, 3mo, Liverpool

In 1871 the family is still living at 6 Ward Street (pg33 ED4
Islington Liverpool LAN).
Joseph Moorhouse, 48, stonemason, Kirkburton, Yorkshire
Sarah, 42, Halifax, Yorkshire
William H., 20, Stonemason, Liverpool
Harriet, 17, cigar maker, Liverpool
George, 15, office errand boy,Liverpool
Benjamin, 12, office errand boy, Liverpool
Sarah, 10, Scholar, Liverpool
Joseph, 6, Scholar, Liverpool
James, 4, Scholar, Liverpool

You do know that those children were all baptized at Saint Peter's in
Liverpool. These extracted records were found in the IGI at FamilySearch.
==============================
International Genealogical Index / British Isles
MARY ANN MOORHOUSE - Christening: 29 APR 1849 Saint Peter
WILLIAM HENRY MOORHOUSE - Christening: 02 MAR 1851 Saint Peter
HARRIET MOORHOUSE - Christening: 26 DEC 1853 Saint Peter
GEORGE MOORHOUSE - Christening: 02 JUN 1856 Saint Peter
BENJAMIN MOORHOUSE Christening: 31 OCT 1858 Saint Peter
SARAH MOORHOUSE - Christening: 07 APR 1861 Saint Peter
JOSEPH MOORHOUSE - Christening: 10 JUL 1864 Saint Peter
JAMES MOORHOUSE - Christening: 17 JUN 1867 Saint Peter

And possibly these too:
ALLAN MOORHOUSE - Christening: 25 DEC 1869 Saint Peter, Liverpool
JULIA MOORHOUSE - Christening: 31 DEC 1871 Saint Peter, Liverpool
==============================

BTW, a more approriate subject line would have been "Joseph
MOORHOUSE, 1861 and 1871 census"

>Any help would be grateful as I think one of these people is my
>Great-Grandparent and this would solve a mystery as to who gave
>birth to my Grandma in 1894.
>
>Once again, many thanks to all the listers on here who do such a
>kind job for finding information for people they have never met or
>will be ever likely to. Great bunch you Scousers!
>
>Kind regards
>Paul in Australia

This thread: