ENG-LIVERPOOL-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-LIVERPOOL > 2009-08 > 1249238773

From: Anne Peat <>
Subject: Re: [ENG-LIV] Kelton Convent
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 19:46:13 +0100

This sounds like one of the homes for unmarried mothers which many of
the Roman Catholic religious orders ran. The mothers were given
shelter to have their babies and in return had to work often in
laundries as a 'penance' for their sinful behaviour.
Some of them were very cruelly treated.

There's a picture of the convent - before conversion into residential
units at http://www.georgiangroup.org.uk/docs/cases/index.php?id=3:18:0:0

A discussion about the conversion on a Liverpool forum says
> It then became a home for unmarried mothers run by the RC Church.
> The nuns having previously moved from a large house in the Dingle

HTH
Anne
On 2 Aug 2009, at 19:09, Bosie wrote:

> Just found my Gran and Mum on the 1911 census at Kelton Convent,
> House for
> Penetants and children, Woodlands Road, Aigburth. Gran was stated
> as being
> an inmate and working as a laundry assistant (attached to home),
> Gran was 22
> and Mum was 3 years old. Can anyone give me any information about
> the home
> at that time, and where I may be able to see any records? Thank you in
> advance, all info much appreciated.
> Rosemary

This thread: