ENG-MIDDLESEX-CRIMINALS-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-MIDDLESEX-CRIMINALS > 2009-03 > 1236724442

From: Michelle Watson <>
Subject: [MDX-CRIMS] John WHITLEY - HMP Parkhurst, 1911 - What Did He Do?
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 09:34:02 +1100

Hi Everyone,

I need some help tracking down criminal records and prison records.

By using the original record, ie family schedule rather than the
transcript, it now looks like my ancestor, John WHITLEY was in HM
Parkhurst during the taking of the 1911 Census.

His wife filled out his info and put a note about him being there.
One of the docs, there was alot of extra info on the original
document that was not included in the transcript, including three
children that I didn't have any other record of and had never heard
of before (I now have a hint of where my inability to fill in forms
correctly comes from, which in this case is a blessing).

My dear great, great grandmother had included deceased members of the
family on the page and then crossed them out. There is no guarantee
of this stroke of luck for everyone, but you never know.

So now I would like to find out the when, where and why of his
incarceration. The family are living in Edmonton, so it's likely
that's where he was arrested.

I have searched at the Old Bailey website -
<http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/>http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/ and
the London Gazette -
<http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/home.aspx?geotype=London>http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/home.aspx?geotype=London
without success. There might be records in the LMA or National
Archives but since I'm in Australia, I've got no way to check in person.

I'd love to check local newspapers, but none are online.

Any ideas of other places to search would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Michelle

Michelle Watson

Watson/Canet Family History - http://watsoncanet.webcon.net.au/
Researching: Watson, Canet, Harper, Whitley, Rann, Hamilton,
O'Donnell, Wilkes, Freeman, Munro, Brown, Baker, Hughes, Davis, Sandilands

This thread: