ENG-ROTHERHAM-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-ROTHERHAM > 2003-10 > 1067283702

From: "Denis" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:41:42 -0000

Carol et al,

Replying to yours of 19th Oct: The Glassworks you appear to be viewing on a
map is just off the A6022 behind the houses/shops fronting this road. There
is a
crossroads on A6022, on the eastern side of the Dearne & Dove Canal which
was locking down, from this area, into the Main Line of the Sheffield &
South Yorkshire
Canal. The minor road to the north, from this crossroads, is Whitelee Road
and one boundary of South
Yorkshire Glass Works; viewed on the 25inch OS map of 1901. Grid Ref: SK
462 993. As you
already know from other correspondents, ownership has changed over the
following years. Two cousins, living within a few miles of that area, are
retired workers from
that works. Another minor road ran off Bridge Street, running north east,
form another boundary. Surprise, surprise, there was a brewery at the end
of this lane adjacent to the Glass Works. In my time in the area, this was
Wards Mineral Water Works!
May be able to supply additional information about the modern works via
these cousins.

Yours of 20th Oct refers to 40 Dolcliffe Road, Mexborough. There were two
Glass Works in Mexborough and both are shown on the 1901 map. My
mother-in-law's
father worked in one of these. Previously, he worked at Kilner's (of the
Kilner Jars for food storage) Glassworks in Thornhill Lees, Dewsbury.
Kilner's also had one
in Denaby in my time, 1940s. On the 1902 map this is shown as Providence
Glass Works with access from the main road, possibly the A6023 by this
location, over the railway by Kilner's Bridge. Grid Ref: SK 505 996.

The two in Mexborough were Phoenix Glass Works Grid Ref: SK 471 997 and, the
adjacent, Don Glass
Works to the east. Both ran down from behind the shops and houses of High
Street to
the Sheffield & South Yorkshire Navigation, the canal. These were very
close to Dolcliffe Road depending on which part they lived. Cannot remember
the numbering system.
Dolcliffe Road leaves Bank Street, near to the eastern end of the shopping
area, and
quickly kinks to the north west where it climbs steadily to reach near to
the edge of the Brickworks Quarry before plunging very steeply down to Main
Street at the western end of the town. The final climb only had houses on
the northern side of the road giving an extremely good view southwards over
the Don Valley towards Kilnhurst. The steep south facing slope down to the
town from this section had
no value for building but made marvellous allotments for the tenants. I
well remember looking down on
these when passing this way, from school down into the town, to catch a bus
back to my home in
Wath-on-Dearne.

Thomas Barron set up the Don Glass Manufacturing Company in Mexborough in
1850. Over 300 men
and boys were employed at the peak time. The works were extended six times
before closing in 1923.

When one of these Mexborough Works was working late, her father used to send
a young lad up with a message to that effect. My m-in-l then used to take a
cooked meal down for him. This would have been served in basins and carried
in a wicker basket.
That was in the days before fast foods. With all this good food, it is no
wonder they had tremendous strength to do all the jobs they had to. Well,
this family at any rate. He had six allotments to keep hens and pigs along
with all the food that they grew. Of course, not many people looked after
their families like this. Two of the girls and one boy are still alive in
their 80s and 90s.

All these works were sited on canals which presumably were essential for the
transport of the heavy raw
materials.

Nearby, in Wath-on-Dearne, there was another similar works, Waterstone
Glassware Ltd in Common Lane.
Grid Ref: SK 445 009. This was alongside the LNER railway with a siding
shared with Stanley's Oil & Soap
Works, which opened in 1887. What a smelly place! Although both these
works are shown on the 1901 map,
they are not named. Around 1939, I was taken on a tour around the Glass
Works by an acquaintance of my
father. My father, at that time, was a Goods Guard on the railway and
serviced this works by collecting and
delivering the odd few wagons. They didn't seem to have much traffic so I
don't know how the bulk of their
materials was moved. Later, in 1951, they made commemorative egg cups in
blue glass for the Festival of Britain.
We are still using some of these! Although the total site, containing the
Oil and Glass Works, was on the Dearne
& Dove Canal bank, I am not sure whether such transport was ever use for the
Glass Works. The Glass Works,
that I saw, was in a corner at the opposite end of the site from the canal.
In any case, the canal had closed by 1914.
Neither of these works are shown on the 1855 6inch OS map. The canal had
been in existence since 1797.

The next Glass Works westward, I believe, was also a Beatson & Clark one
situated between Stairfoot and Barnsley.
Not sure whether this is still Stairfoot or has some other name. It was
about half a mile north of the main road, A635
and probably on the same D & D Canal. Grid Ref: approx SK 368 060.

There may be others, besides this Stairfoot one, at the upper end of the
Dearne Valley supplied by the D & D Canal.
That area had very early coal resources. Not sure how their kilns were
fired; coal, coke or water gas derived from
heated coke as used in the Iron & Steel Trade. Much later coalfields were
opened around Wath, Mexborough and
Denaby with canal servicing to large towns and export via Goole and Hull.

Denis in LAN.