ENG-SHROPSHIRE-PLUS-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-SHROPSHIRE-PLUS > 2002-01 > 1010359796

From: "J A Olsen" <>
Subject: Re: [ENG-SHROP] Groom family
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2002 23:30:46 +0000

I dont know about help - this might just thicken the plot, but its an
interesting one.

The Kellys of 1895 lists two GROOMs who may interest you:

Groom Ernest, Dothill park, Wellington
Groom Mrs. Dothill park Wellington

They appear in the Court Directory, which is a list of the 'better sort of
people' for the whole of the county. They dont appear in the Wellington
Private Residents section and Dothill isnt listed as a principal seat.

Two other GROOMs appear both in the Court Directory and in the Wellington
Private Residents, they are

Groom R. Alfd. Glencoe, Cemetery rd (Alfred spelled fully in court
directory)
Groom Clement, Fairfield, New Church road

The Commercial section gives us

Groom R. Sons & Co. Lim. timber merchants and woodware manfacturers,
Shropshire works

Does "Lim." mean Limited?

If I had to bet I would think that R Groom founded the firm and that Mrs
Groom is his widow, Ernest the heir, and the two others younger sons perhaps
with a share in the proceeds, but that would be idle speculation really.
(grin)

Hope it helps anyway.

Judy
----------
>From: "Ken Wynne-Dyke" <>
>Subject: [ENG-SHROP] Groom family
>Date: Sun, Jan 6, 2002, 12:40 pm
>

> I am looking for information on the Groom family from Wellington,
> Shropshire. My great grandfather was James Groom, born 1850 in Wellington
> and died 1910 in South Africa. His father was Richard Groom, but there
> appear to have been a number of Richard Grooms living in Wellington. There
> appears to be a connection between "my"Richard Groom and Dothill House as I
> have found a photo of the house (or part of it) taken in 1923.

This thread: