ENG-SOMERSET-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-SOMERSET > 2002-07 > 1027631933

From: "Sarah Lowther" <>
Subject: Re: [ENG-SOM] Velvet Weaving
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:25:23 +0100

Hi Brian

> I wonder if anyone out there knows anything about the velvet
> weaving industry in Somerset, and in particular in Shepton Mallet.

Can I recommend a book I'm reading at the moment. It's title is
"Wiltshire and Somerset Woollen Mills" by Kenneth Rogers. ISBN 0
903859 06 8. Published by Pasold Research Fund. The three page
Chapter 10 deals with Shepton Mallet and its silk industry. Included
is a reference to Coombe Lane Factory which was occupied in 1838
by William Richardson, velvet manufacturer.

Best wishes
Sarah

This thread: