ENG-SURREY-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-SURREY > 1999-04 > 0924853766

From: <>
Subject: Bookhams
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 7:49:26 +0000

This message is a reply for Janice in Texas but as her email bounces back to
me I am posting to the list just in case. Janice if you are on line please
let me know if you have received any of the other info I have tried to send
you.
This information may be of interest to someone else as well.

I have looked up in the census SKILTON/SKELTONs in the Eastwick area of
Bookham - the information I found is as follows:

1841 Census ref HO 107/1071 page 13, - Eastwicke Street, Gt Bookham
SKILTON age occupation birth location
Henry 35 Ag Labourer Fetcham
Mary 20 Canterbury, Kent
George 2 Gt Bookham
Hannah 2months Gt Bookham

1851 Census ref HO 107/1592 page 4, - 6 Eastwicke Lane, Gt Bookham
SKILTON
Henry 45 Ag Labourer Fetcham Head
Mary 30 Canterbury Kent wife
George 12 Ag Labourer Gt Bookham son
Hannah 10 Scholar Gt Bookham dau
William 8 Scholar Gt Bookham son
John 6 Gt Bookham son
David 5 Gt Bookham son
Walter 3 Gt Bookham son
Charles 11 months Gt Bookham son

1861 Census (missing from library)

1871 Census ref HO 10/ 801 - 131 Eastwicke Street, Great Bookham
SKILTON
Henry 56 Ag Labourer Fetcham head
George 22 Ag Labourer Gt Bookham son
Hannah 20 Housekeeper to father Gt Bookham dau
William 18 Ag Labourer Gt Bookham son
John 16 Ag Labourer Gt Bookham son
David 15 Ag Labourer Gt Bookham son
Walter 13 Ag Labourer Gt Bookham son
Charles 12 Ag Labourer Gt Bookham son
Alfred 10 Gt Bookham son
Edward 8 Gt Bookham son
Mary Ann 4 Gt Bookham dau
Sarah PETERS 2 Gt Bookham grandaughter

Eastwick Lane/Street does not exist any more but there is an Eastwick Road
which is less than 1/4 mile from the centre of Bookham and which runs down
to Bookham Common where you can get to Fetcham. As your folks come from
this area I have copied a few notes from the Official Guide to Leatherhead
and District 1972 edition. St Nicolas Church would probably have been used
by your ancestors so I have included a few notes on that also.

FETCHAM
Fetcham, which gives its name to the Ward lying between The Bookhams and
Leatherhead, has the village centre half mile to the north of the Guildford
Road (A246). The village, whose inhabitants were occupied from early times
in agriculture or in the service of the Lord of the Manor, numbered only 377
in 1825, and 1,318 at the time of the 1931 census. The population in 1972
was 7,331.

At the Conquest there were three Manors in Fetcham (Feceham) and these are
recorded in the Doomsday Book. There are several cottages of the 16th and
17th
centuries on Cobham Road and The Street. The Old Rising Sun Restaurant (now
The Harvester)
dates from 1348 and it is recorded that Robert de Ledrede sought permission
build a chapel into the house in 1358. It has a hammer beam roof and for
many years was used
as an ale house, beer being brewed upon the premises from locally grown
hops.

BOOKHAMS
The Ward of Bookham incorporates the parishes of Great and Little Bookham.
At the time of the Conquest the manor of Bookham (Bocheham) was in the
possession of
Chertsey Abbey and had been since the 7th century. It was surrendered to
the Crown at
the Dissolution and granted to Lord William Howard. It remained in this line
until the last Earl of
Effingham sold it to James Laurell in 1801. The Manor has changed hands many

times and finally split up among many purchasers. The Manor House was for a
number of
years used as a private school, but demolished in the 1960s and the present
Eastwick
County First and Middle Schools erected.

The Dabernon family originally held the reputed Manor of Eastwick which
became merged into the Manor of Great Bookham in 1627.

Great Bookham also has literary associations, Fanny Burney after her
marriage
to Monsieur d Arblay lived for some years at The Hermitage - an 18th century
cottage
since enlarged; Jane Austen often stayed at the Old Rectory (now demolished
and Lord Nelson
is reputed to have lodged at The Hermitage on his journeys to Portsmouth.

Other properties of note in Great Bookham are Slyfield House, Polesdon
Lacey,
Bookham Grove built by Admiral Broderick in 1750 and a large number of 16th
and 17th
century dwellings in the village.

St Nicholas Parish Church, Great Bookham
The existence of the church at Bookham crossroads (centre of the village) is
recorded in 1086 in the Domesday Book. The two small windows above the
north arcade belong to this period. A narrow south aisle was built about
1150 and a second aisle on the north was constructed towards 1200. the
Chacel was completed in 1341 and on the east wall is an inscription to the
effect that this was the work of John Rutherwyk, Abbot of Chertsey. About
1440 the south aisle was widened on the ease side of the porch terminating
in a lesser chancel known as the Slyfield Chapel.

Jacqy FAULL
WSFHS 4264
researching: Surrey : PEACOCK - Farnham, DUDMAN -
Lambeth/Camberwell/Farnham, DYER - Woking, BOWLER - Farnham, COLES - Farnham
family website: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jhough

This thread: