ENG-SURREY-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-SURREY > 2002-03 > 1017165699

From: "Steven Reeve" <>
Subject: RE: [SRY] My elusive Levick's.
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 18:01:56 -0000

Hi Julie,

Some possible suggestions for alternatives to LEVICK: -

LEVIK ; LEVIC ; LEFIK ; LEFICK ; LEFIC

If it's handwriting you're looking at then there are probably scores of ways
it could be written that wouldn't look like LEVICK. From personal
experience of transcribing from micro-fiche copies of the census records the
handwriting covered all possible standards from very good to very bad. I
remember reading on another list the qualities that the authorities looked
for when hiring census takers but I don't recall one stating that they had
to have legible handwriting!

By writing the LEVICK surname myself with my 'scrawl' how about these
possibilities: -

LEWEK ("vic" as "we") ; LUVICK ("e" as "u") ; LEVID ("ck" as "d") ; LOVICK
("e" as "o") ; LEWICK ("v" as "w") or even LEWIS ("vick" as "wis") and
probably many other variants on that theme.

Regards,

Steven Reeve, Norfolk, England
E-mail:

Researching in England for: -

CAPON - Stock & Moreton in Essex
CROSSINGHAM - Carshalton in Surrey
GARROD - Diss & Scole in Norfolk
HUMPHRIES - Houghton Regis & Luton in Bedfordshire; Middlesex
LITCHFIELD - Bedfordshire; Middlesex; Northampton
LITTLE - West Hanningfield in Essex
PARKER - Middlesex
PERRIN - Essex
QUINTRELL - Bedfordshire
REEVE - Diss, Scole & Kenninghall in Norfolk; Edmonton in Middlesex
SNELL - Essex
WOOD - Carshalton in Surrey; Nettlebed in Oxfordshire