ENG-SUSSEX-EASTBOURNE-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-SUSSEX-EASTBOURNE > 2003-01 > 1041412021

From: "David Lamb" <>
Subject: Re: [Eastbourne] (no subject)
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 09:07:01 -0000

Hello,

As the only place you mention is Bow (probably the one in the East End of
London) I wonder what made you think of joining the list for Eastbourne, as
Eastbourne is a town in Sussex, on the south coast of England, about 60
miles from Bow. (I am not being critical, just curious). I think I have
found Caroline on the 1881 Census, in the following entry (in which I have
written out the abbreviations in full):

Dwelling: 48 Appian Road
Census Place: Bow, London, Middlesex, England

Marr Age Sex Birthplace
James JOHNSON Married 40 Male Stoke Golding, Buckinghamshire, England
Relationship to head of household: Head
Occupation: Labourer
Caroline JOHNSON Married 40 Female Stratford, Essex, England
Relationship to head of household: Wife
Occupation: Berlin Wool Maker
Elizabeth SWABY Unmarried 17 Female Old Ford, Middlesex, England
Relationship to head of household: Stepdaughter
Occupation: Servant
John SWABY 16 Male Old Ford, Middlesex, England
Relationship to head of household: Stepson
Occupation: Wood Cutter (Man) ["Man" probably short for "manual"]
Caroline SWABY 14 Female East Indies
Relationship to head of household: Stepdaughter
Occupation: Wood Cutter (Man)
Frederick JOHNSON 10 Male Old Ford, Middlesex, England
Relationship to head of household: Son
Occupation: Scholar
Sarah A. JOHNSON 6 Female Old Ford, Middlesex, England
Relationship to head of household: Daughter
Occupation: Scholar
Jane JOHNSON 5 Female Old Ford, Middlesex, England
Relationship to head of household: Daughter
Occupation: Scholar
Albert JOHNSON 2 Male Old Ford, Middlesex, England
Relationship to head of household: Son
Samuel JOHNSON 2 months Male Old Ford, Middlesex, England
Relationship to head of household: Son

That entry supplies quite a lot of information. The last SWABY child,
Caroline, was 14, so born about 1867, in the East Indies. Maybe John Henry
SWABY died there. The first JOHNSON child, Frederick, was born about 1871,
so (unless he was a child of a previous marriage of James JOHNSON) John
Henry SWABY seems to have died between 1867 and 1871. The place names
mentioned in the entry are (apart from Stoke Golding and the East Indies, of
course) very close - within a mile or two of each other. Unless you have
other information, the likelihood seems to be that he was born in Middlesex,
probably in or near the Mile End or Bow (in full, St Mary le Bow) area.

Happy New Year!
David Lamb (Paignton, Devon, UK)