ENG-TAMAR-VALLEY-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-TAMAR-VALLEY > 2012-04 > 1334251460

From: "Jan Chancellor" <>
Subject: Re: [ENG-TAMAR-VALLEY] John Hooper b: 1835
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 18:24:20 +0100
References: <0A2C670C-253F-4798-982F-22F30CFB9008@btopenworld.com><013a01cad847$13e569c0$0201010a@beverlyf387673><5C8359D3A8AD4FA38544C6A7C3DF114A@Gandalf><6DFBD58C94BC47F3A3FA633907021F9A@Gandalf><000401cd17e9$20e1f330$62a5d990$@com><E78736159BFA44AF92E3EEF464ADE6DC@Gandalf><CD4102D26796460A9C54919CC7FE47A9@JAN2008><000801cd18b3$b767acd0$26370670$@com><9030DB97BBF54693820D587495D63B1D@JAN2008><000001cd18cf$7de503b0$79af0b10$@com>
In-Reply-To: <000001cd18cf$7de503b0$79af0b10$@com>

Thanks Linda, I will have a go.
Regards
Jan

From:
[mailto:] On Behalf Of Linda Nelson
Sent: 12 April 2012 18:13
Subject: [ENG-TAMAR-VALLEY] John Hooper b: 1835

Hi Jan:
No, I mean on the Family Search website
If you can copy and paste the link below to do into your search engine bar
for this website it should take you to Hugh Wallis's Batch Number website.
There you can access the Non-conformist transcripts for the Non-conformist
churches in Tavistock.
There were three Non-conformist churches in Tavistock. Abbey Chapel
Presbyterian, The Brook Street Independant, and the Wesleyan Methodists.

Go to England when you reached this page and then click on Devon N-Z link.
This will take you to the page were you can click on the "T"
for Tavistock once you do this you will see the three churches I mentioned
above.

Myra I believe, transcribed some of the Methodist circuit church records,
but perhaps not for this time frame.
The Methodist records cover a circuit.
You need to check the Wesleyan Methodist records to find the John Hoopers
I'm referring to.

The batch number will come up automatically on this website. Then you enter
the surname, "Hooper". While you are looking at these records, note the
source number, for this is the microfilm number. If needed you can order in
the microfilm through the nearest Family History Centre near where you live.
If you do not put in a surname and just search using the batch number it
will bring up all the transcribed records for the microfilm.
I believe this microfilm is also at the Devon Record Office.

Here is the link again.

/CountryEngland.htm#PageTitle

Hope this helps
Linda

From:
[mailto:] On Behalf Of Jan Chancellor
Sent: April-12-12 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: [ENG-TAMAR-VALLEY] John Hooper b: 1835

Hello Linda

Do you mean on the Cornwall OPC website? I can't find anything there. Does
the entry you have seen in the non conformist registers give the parent's
names?

I'm afraid I'm not sure what to do with the batch numbers link.

Kind regards

Jan

From:
[mailto:] On Behalf Of Linda Nelson
Sent: 12 April 2012 14:54
Subject: [ENG-TAMAR-VALLEY] John Hooper b: 1835

Have you checked the non-conformist registers. I see a John Hooper baptised
c 1835. Sometimes people didn't move they were just non-conformists.
/CountryEngland.htm#PageTitle

Linda

From:
[mailto:] On Behalf Of Jan Chancellor
Sent: April-12-12 6:15 AM
Subject: Re: [ENG-TAMAR-VALLEY] Hooper family 1700s

Dear Myra, Linda and Joy

Many thanks for looking into this for me. I have also been in touch with Les
Haigh who has researched the Hoopers of Calstock www.leshaigh.co.uk.

Unfortunately (or I should say fortunately) Les has pointed out a likely
error in my research to date so that I cannot go back to the 1700's yet. I
don't know if anyone can offer any insight into my new query.

I have a definate descendent John Hooper who I believe was born in Calstock
in 1835/6, but I cannot find evidence of his birth and I cannot find him in
the 1841 or 1851 censuses. He married Isabella Richards on 21/10/1860 in
Wilmslow, Cheshire and they also resided in Abberley Shropshire for a while
in the 1860's. His father's name on the marriage certificate is given as
John. Isabella is originally from St Erth but was living in Calstock in
1851. John's mother is Ann.

In the 1861 census John and Isabella are living in Fulshaw, Wilmslow with
Ann Hooper, John's mother. He was a miner and there are tin mines in this
area. But I can find no trace of this family before the 1861 census. Anne
Hooper says she comes from Calstock in some censuses and once she says St
Meon (could this be St Mewan?). Before the 1871 census John Hooper went to
Australia promising to send money back to his family which he did once but
was not heard from again after this. Isabella and Anne continued to live in
this area until their deaths bringing up John and Isabella's children.

For some strange reason I seem to have ignored the fact that John Hooper's
father was called John and instead assumed he was the son of Francis and
Hooper and Ann Truscott b 03/01/1836. I'm sort of hoping the John on the
marriage certificate might be a mistake because everything else fits in so
nicely! There is no trace of Francis and Ann Hooper after the 1851 census.

Les Haigh has indicated to me who Francis and Ann's son John probably was
and I am going to get the marriage certificate for him and wife Susan to
check that the father's name on the certificate is Francis. This will prove
that my John is definitely not the son of Francis and no mistake has been
made on his marriage certificate.

I believe there is a record of a John Hooper born in Calstock in 1838 with a
mother Ann Hooper according to the OPC transcript. Someone else who has
apparently checked the actual record says that the father also is listed as
John Hooper but it seems strange that his name is not on the transcript. The
date seems a bit late for my John Hooper anyway. John's marriage certificate
says he was 25 on 21/10/1860. He has given an age of 26 on the 1861 census.

So I'm stuck trying to find evidence of John Hooper's birth circa 1835 in
Calstock (father John, mother Ann). Can anyone advise? I live in North
Cornwall myself now so can go and check records.

Many thanks.

Kind regards

Jan Chancellor (nee Hooper)

From:
[mailto:] On Behalf Of Myra Cordrey
Sent: 12 April 2012 08:44
Subject: Re: [ENG-TAMAR-VALLEY] Hooper family 1700s

Thank you for looking, Linda.

I think that the researcher, who asked the original question, has subscribed
to this List, so any look-ups in other parishes would be received gratefully
by both of us.

Linda,OPC for Tavistock

From:
[mailto:] On Behalf Of Myra Cordrey
Sent: April-11-12 12:53 AM
Subject: [ENG-TAMAR-VALLEY] Hooper family 1700s

Hello All

Does anyone have details of the baptism of a Joseph HOOPER, who married
Hannah COLLING on 17 Jan 1761 in Bere Ferrers. Their son, Francis, was
baptised at Calstock Parish Church on 27 Nov 1761 and later married Jane
MOON.

I've found a possible candidate baptised at Stoke Damerel on 26 Feb 1740,
but there might be others.

Any suggestions would be very welcome!

Regards