ENG-WARKS-BIRMINGHAM-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-WARKS-BIRMINGHAM > 2003-11 > 1068566817

From: Nikki Jeffery <>
Subject: Re: [B'ham] Birmingham Army Records - VALE and/or PETTIT
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 16:06:57 +0000 (GMT)

Hi

I found this website:
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/heatherasplin/home2.html
It has some lists of names from some regiments - helpful if you have more unusual names in your tree than I do!!!!! I found a couple that could be my relatives but then again they might not be!
Nikki

yvonne MITCHELL <> wrote:
Margaret

My Grandfather also served in S Africa - fighting the Boers in 1901 - he was
a Trooper in 16th Company. Imperial Yeomanry. I know as I have his discharge
papers.

There are quite a few men in my family around the age of 20 -30 missing from
the 1901 census and I know they were still alive so I have assumed that they
too joined the volunteer forces to fight the Boers.

I am sure there were quite a number of these forces and I would think it
would be very difficult to find out who joined what - but some more
knowledgeable person may correct me on that.

I just thought I would give you the name of the one Regiment that I knew off
with a Birmingham connection.

Yvonne
Sent: Tuesday, November 11, 2003 3:38 PM

> Hi Listers,
>
> One or both of my grandfathers served in South Africa in the 1800/early
> 1900s, but I do not know in which regiment/s. They both lived in
Birmingham.