ENG-YKS-DONCASTER-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-YKS-DONCASTER > 2006-05 > 1148798830

From: "Chris Westmoreland" <>
Subject: RE: [DONCASTER] FITZGEORGE
Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 07:47:10 +0100

Fitzgeorge merely means 'son of George', and isn't necessarily a statement
of illegitimacy.

The prefix Fitz is Anglo-Norman-French meaning 'son of'. Its modern French
equivalent is fils, and it derives from the latin, filius. As a prefix, it's
similar to the Welsh ap / ab and the Irish Mac (often anglicized as Kil).

It didn't originally denote bastardy / illegitimacy. This is a later
phenomenon when the prefix was given to the bastard sons of royalty. It's
important to be aware of the old distinction between bastardy and
illegitimacy. A bastard was someone who was born out of wedlock, whereas if
someone was illegitimate they were disbarred from a claim on their father's
estate. As such, all bastards were illegitimate, but not all illegitimates
were bastards. This enabled men of means to take their fun wherever they
found it without consequence to the inheritance of their offspring which
happened to be produced by their wives.

The surname Fitzroy (son of the king) can be taken to denote illegitimacy as
its origin. Henry Fitzroy (born 1519) was the bastard son of Henry VIII and
Elizabeth Blount. He was acknowledged as such, and created Duke of Richmond.
A later Henry Fitzroy (born 1663) was the second bastard son of Charles II
and Barbara Villiers: he was created the Duke of Grafton. Similarly, George
Fitzclarence (born 1794) was a bastard of the Duke of Clarence (later
William IV) and his mistress Dorothea Jordan. He was created the Duke of
Munster. These origins are documented and can be verified.

Some Fitz prefixed surnames (e.g. Fitzgerald, Fitzpatrick) are anglicized
forms of Irish surnames (e.g. Mac Gearailt, Mac Giolla Padraig).

Kushti Bok,

Chris Westmoreland