ENGLISH-OBITS-L Archives

Archiver > ENGLISH-OBITS > 2006-07 > 1152361140

From: "Peter_McCrae" <>
Subject: Fw:Re: TRUEMAN: Frederick Sewards Truman--d.1/7/2006>UK
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 13:19:00 +0100

The Scotsman online 4/7/2006

Fred Trueman

FRED TRUEMAN, OBE England cricketer

Born: 6 February, 1931 in Stainton, South Yorkshire.

Died: 1 July, 2006 in Keighley, West Yorkshire, aged 75.

FRED Trueman will be remembered as the first cricketer to take 300 Test
wickets and as one of the fastest, most hostile and gifted bowlers England
has produced. For every one of those 300 batsmen dismissed there is a tale
or anecdote that sums up the wit and charisma of one of the game's great
characters.

Trueman was nicknamed Fiery Fred because, at his pomp, he roared in to bowl
and unsettled, outwitted and sometimes terrified the world's best batsmen.
Equally, it was a fitting sobriquet because the Yorkshireman was so easy to
inflame. His spats with the Lord's establishment and the administrators of
his own beloved county were legendary.

Many of England's finest cricketers have been sons of privilege. Trueman was
the offspring of Alan, a horsedealer's son who was left with no option but
to enter the pit in the early 1930s as his family grew. Frederick Sewards
was the fourth of seven children, and left school at 14, embarking on a
series of menial jobs while hurling cricket balls with unchecked aggression
in his spare time.

The tyro was so raw that it wasn't until 1951, three years since Yorkshire
had begun to fund his development, that he earned consistent selection at
Headingley. Trueman claimed 90 first-class wickets that summer and was
awarded a county cap - from then on, there was to be no stopping him.

In 1952 the 21-year-old was called up for England and unleashed on India.
Few players have taken to international cricket with such a nerveless shrug.
Trueman had three Test wickets before he had conceded a single run, and the
Indians had been reduced to nought for four. Post-war England had a new
idol.

Several resolute, no-nonsense northerners have left a lasting imprint on the
English game but few as distinctive as Trueman's. Proud of his colliery
background and utterly immune to old establishment rule, he contributed to
cricket's gradual shift from the sole preserve of aristocrats to the
all-inclusive pursuit enjoyed across the social spectrum today.

He didn't suffer gladly patrician traditionalists who came out to bat in
striped caps and cravats, expecting him to play the game their way and
honour their customs. A Cambridge University batsman, having just been
dismissed, acknowledged his captor with the compliment: "That was a very
good ball, Mr Trueman." The bowler replied: "Aye, wasted on thee."

Countless other anecdotes illustrate Trueman's sharp humour, which was
usually delivered at the expense of some preening buffoon. A library of such
stories surely identifies him as one of the pioneers of "sledging", the
unsporting practice favoured mostly by Australians who try to get under an
opponent's skin via verbal warfare. Like them, Trueman only knew one way to
play cricket: his way.

It served him well, after a time. Trueman's Test career was interrupted
variously by national service, reports of crude language and overly
aggressive play, and fall-outs with tour managers such as the Duke of
Norfolk, but nearing the end of the 1950s he established himself as
England's premier bowler, forging an exceptional new-ball partnership with
Brian Statham.

For five years the pair cut a swathe through international cricket, Statham
accurate and persistent, Trueman rhythmic and dynamic, profiting from a
profound ability to make the ball swing away from the right-hander and cut
back in after hitting the seam.

Even at the age of 32, in 1963, he continued to reign supreme despite the
arrival of West Indian pretenders to his fast-bowling throne. He took 34
wickets in that home series, which would prove his last as a fixture of the
side. A year later he was dropped three wickets short of 300, and only when
recalled for the Ashes decider at The Oval did he realise the great
landmark, when Colin Cowdrey took a slips catch to remove Australia's Neil
Hawke.

England's woes for most of the past two decades meant there has been no
queue of aspirants waiting to relieve Trueman of his place in history. Only
Ian Botham, with 383 wickets, and Bob Willis (325) have so far overtaken
him.

Richie Benaud has noted that had Trueman been born 20 or 30 years later, he
would have taken 500, rather than 307, Test wickets. But we cannot imagine
how he would have handled the glare and scrutiny that today marries itself
to celebrity. Fred would have been ready prey for the London tabloids with
his fondness for a pint, his romantic adventures and his confrontational
tongue.

Against Australia on his home ground in 1961, Trueman finished off the
visitors' second innings with six wickets for one run. But due to the
deterioration of his first marriage, to Enid Chapman, he had slept the
previous night in a Leeds car park. In the modern world, a high-profile
sportsman would do well to get into such a mess without being photographed.

Indeed, after he retired in 1968 - his last of 67 Tests had come in 1965,
against New Zealand - Trueman's work as a radio summariser on Radio 4
revealed his shortage of admiration for contemporary ways. As a fast bowler
in possession of 2,304 first-class wickets and who had bowled 1,000 overs
four summers in a row, he did not pull any punches and mocked the players'
constant petitions for rest.

The fusion of his love for cricket with his recognition of its faults, and
those of the people who play it, served Trueman well as an after-dinner
speaker. He last visited Scotland in March 2002, on one such duty, and in an
interview with The Scotsman took aim at such targets as Yorkshire, Darren
Gough and England coach Duncan Fletcher.

Trueman died in a Yorkshire hospital last Saturday after a battle with lung
cancer. He is survived by his second wife, Veronica, and three children from
his first marriage - Rebecca, Rodney and Karen. A book of condolence will be
set up at Headingley this week, and Yorkshire County Cricket Club is
planning a memorial service.

This thread: