ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 1998-08 > 0902310092

From: Noel Clark <>
Subject: Gibraltar, Essex
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 19:41:32 +1000

I'm writing this off-line without seeing whether there have been more
learned replies!
I just wonder whether this is an interpretation of some poor handwriting on
the original census? I came across one such case in the 1851, where a place
looked for all the world like "South Banstead", when it was, in fact,
"South Benfleet". It's a matter of interpreting the sequence of long
strokes on certain letters, and whether others are closed or open ("u" or
"a" for example). A very good example is distinguishing between "London"
and "Sandon".
In the case of "Gibraltar", "Gt. Baddow" might just fit the bill.

I'll be interested to see what other options turn up!

Noel

Noel Clark, Melbourne, Australia

This thread: