ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2001-03 > 0984440084

From: "John Henley" <>
Subject: Re: LAZZAM Incorrect 1881 Census
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 23:34:44 -0000

Hi Ingrid,
Always, but always, check indexes to and transcriptions of registers,
censuses, etc. against [films of] the originals.
You'll see from my list below I have SECKERs in my line - they have turned
up as SEEKER, SICKER, SUCKER, TUCKER, SEEKIN, LEAKER, and many more and
worse variations!

A golden rule of genealogy sems to be the rarer the name the more often it
will be mis-spelt - even when the family were consistent in their spelling
(if they could write).
Capital L is often confused with S, T, F, C,
Small z could be confused with y or g (not so often s!)
Expect LAGGAM, LEGGOM and many more before you've done :-(

With regard to the IGI on Family Search, only a small proportion of parish
registers, esp. after 1837, are indexed there. Some entries in registers are
missing from the index as well. All the City of London registers, I think,
are indexed, so if he was baptized you should find Anthony but probably
under a misspelling.
Post 1837 you should find them in the GRO indexes (proportiuon of births
unregistered in early years) but, again, look for creative spellings in the
HTH
Cheers

John Henley
(still catching up on masses of emails and not finding much time for -)
researching
HENLEY, PARKER, PRENTICE, SECKER, RAPER, DURDEN
[London/Middx./Essex/Suffolk]
ROLFE, (O)RAFFERTY, EVANS, PARSONS, SYMONDS [Berks/Hants/Wilts]
HILL [Staffs/Cambs/Berks]