ESSEX-UK-L Archives

Archiver > ESSEX-UK > 2002-07 > 1025780835

From: "Norman W. Long" <>
Subject: PRESNELL (or variations)
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 21:07:15 +1000

Hello listers,
I am hoping there may be some kind people who can help me sort out the PRESNELL branch of my family tree. My great great great Grandfather was William PRESNELL. I can find no record of his birth, but he appears to have been born around 1765. William Presnell was sentenced at Essex Chelmsford Lent Assizes on 8 March 1797 and transported to Australia for Life. He and Simon MOULDS had been convicted of at least three counts of cattle stealing and one count of horse stealing. He was about 31 years of age and came from the County of Essex. His Parish, however, is given differently for each of his four convictions - Chinkford, Little Ilford, West Ham and Plaistow. He arrived in Port Jackson on 18 May 1798. William was sent to Norfolk Island in about 1801 where he met Ann FOWLER and had about 3 children, and then to Van Diemens Land (Tasmania) with his family on the City of Edinburgh.

While William was living in Tasmania, his mother Sarah came to Australia at the end of 1822. When she died the next year it was reported that she was then 86 years of age, meaning that she was born around 1737. (Amazing that she would travel so far at that age in those trying conditions!)

Several other Presnells also came to Australia in the 1820s. These do seem to be relatives, although whether they were brothers, cousins or nephews, or something else, I have not yet been able to determine with any degree of certainty.
Among these other Presnells were Thomas, James and John.

In the new BVRI recently put out by the LDS, the following family appears:
Children of Thomas Presnell and Sarah are:

i. Thomas Presnell, Christening: 23 January 1774, St Marys, Leyton, Essex, England.

ii. James Presnell, Christening: 7 June 1778, St Marys, Leyton, Essex, England. He married Elisabeth Ann DOUGHTY 14 May 1797 in Saint Leonards, Shoreditch, London, England

.iii. Ann Presnell,Christening: 14 May 1780, St Marys, Leyton, Essex, England . She married Samuel DOUGHTY 15 April 1800 in Saint Leonards, Shoreditch, London, England.

iv. Sarah Presnell, Christening: 31 March 1782, St Marys, Leyton, Essex, England

v. Joseph Presnell, Christening: 20 June 1784, St Marys, Leyton, Essex, England. Burial: 23 August 1793, All Saints, West Ham, England.

vi. John Presnell, Christening: 27 February 1787, St Marys, Leyton, Essex, England.

vii. Lucy Presnell, Christening: 24 May 1789, St Marys, Leyton, Essex, England.

The Thomas, James and John in this list seem a pretty good match for the ones that came to Australia, although the Thomas is 5 years younger than his death certificate suggests. 'My' Thomas was married to a Mary DADGE and there is a record of several of their children's births in Oxfordshire. So I am not 100% sure that it's the same Thomas.

Another problem is whether the Sarah that is the mother of these children is the same Sarah who came to Australia and who, from the death notice, appears to be the mother of William. The problems with this are: the fairly large gap between the births of William and Thomas, the fact that William's birth does not appear, and, if it is the same Sarah the late age at which she had her last child (ie about 52). Was her age incorrectly given when she died, and perhaps she had other children not on this list? Are they different Sarahs and perhaps her husband Thomas was William's brother or other relative?

Is anyone a relative of this family? Can anyone suggest avenues which I may pursue to find out exactly how they are all conected, or where and when exactly William was born? There is a very large number of researchers who are Presnell descendants that I am in contact with in Australia and who would also love to sort out their English Connections.

Thankyou for taking the time to read this, and I apologise for its length. I hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards, Sharon in Melton, Victoria, Australia.

This thread: