EUBANKS-L Archives

Archiver > EUBANKS > 2001-07 > 0996159411

From: Nancy Clayton <>
Subject: William EUBANKS/EUBANK - 1700s Maryland>1800s North Carolina
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 09:56:51 -0500

Hello:

I'm searching for the family of my GG Grandmother - Mary EUBANKS.

Here is what I have -- not sure if this the line of my Mary:

William EUBANKS
b. ca 1740-1750 Maryland?
d. 27 AUG 1816 Iredell County, North Carolina
m. Hester ____________

William and Hester were living in Iredell County by 1809. William Sold
land to John PATTERSON in that year. William probably came from
Maryland, as many families moved to Iredell County in the early 1800s,
coming from Maryland. William left a will in Iredell County dated AUG
27, 1816. He named his wife Hester, a son William, and single daughters
Barsheba and Sarah, and a married daughter Nancy EVANS.

Children of William & Hester:

1. William EUBANKS
b. ca 1770-1790 Maryland?
d. bef 1832
m. Sarah _________
b. ca 1800 Maryland

Children:
a. Eliza E. EUBANKS b. ca 1820-1830 NC
b. Mary EUBANKS b. ca 1820-1830 NC (my GG Grandmother?)

William EUBANKS died sometime before 1832. Sarah married in 1832.
Sarah's 2nd husband was Tillmon HOLLAND. They had several children
together.

(This is from a HOLLAND researcher: Tillman Holland, married a young
widow named Sarah Eubanks about 1832 in northern Iredell Co. Sarah was
the widow of a William Eubanks. Both Tillman and Sarah had been born in
Maryland. I sort of stumbled upon this relationship in the Iredell
court books when I read, from the May term 1840 of court: "Ordered by
the court that sheriff summons a jury of twelve good and lawful men to
allot, lay off and assign to Sarah Holland, wife of Tilman Holland, one
third part of the lands of William Eubanks her former husband." [That
1/3 was the customary "widow's dower."] In the court book for two
sessions earlier that this notation, that is, the November term 1839,
there was this information: "Solomon Claywell appointed guardian of
Eliza E. Eubanks and Mary Eubanks orphans of William Eubanks who gave
security in the sum of two thousand dollars with John S. Patterson and
Thomas L. Tucker securities."

2. Barsheba (Bethsheba) EUBANKS
b. ca 1777 Maryland
d. aft 1850 Iredell County, NC

NOTE: Barsheba was listed as Bethsheba UBANKES on the 1850 Iredell
County, NC census -- as age 73

3. Sarah EUBANKS
b. ca 1790 Virginia
d. aft 1860 Iredell County, NC

NOTE: Sarah was listed as Sarah UBANKES on the 1850 & 1860
Iredell County, NC census -- living in Snow Creek P.O. area

4. Nancy EUBANKS
b. ca 1780-1790 Maryland?
d.
m. _________ EVANS (married before 1816 - date of father's will)

I read on another person's history about the two EUBANKS/EUBANK brothers
- Richard and Thomas, who came to Maryland in the 1670s. At this point,
I feel my Mary may come from Richard.

Here is one possible line:

1. Richard EUBANKS
b. England ca 1650-1660
m. Nancy ______
...2. William EUBANKS
b. Maryland ca 1695
m. Mary _______
......3. William EUBANKS
b. Maryland 1738
m. Ester (Hester) (Contis?)
.........4. William EUBANKS
b. Maryland or NC 1770-1790
m. Sarah________
............5. Mary EUBANKS
b. Iredell County, NC 1824
m. Selim LAWS

My Mary EUBANKS married Selim C. (William C.) LAWS about 1840-1845 in
North Carolina. He was also born in North Carolina about 1816. He was a
carpenter. He has been listed as Celim LAWS and as William C. LAWS
(William Celim LAWS)?

Could my William C. Laws have come to North Carolina from Maryland? Are
his parents from Maryland? We do know either William's father or
grandfather served in the Revolutionary War. If we could get a name of
this LAWS, we might fill in all the lines! Also, notice the name of the
first-born son in this family - William E. -- could the father or
grandfather who fought in the Rev War be named William?

Celem C. Laws and wife (Mary E. EUBANKS) were on the 1850 census for
Iredell County, North Carolina: Roll 634, p.p. 422-423

> Celem C. Laws, 34, farmer, $150, NC
>
> Mary E. Laws, 26, NC
>
> Eliza J. Laws, 9, NC
>
> Wm. E. Laws, 8, NC