EYE-L Archives

Archiver > EYE > 2001-05 > 0991200284

From: "Brett F. Woods" <>
Subject: [EYE] Christafur, Gerick and Fredrick Au: Emigration 1754
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 23:24:44 -0600

I have just begun researching the Eye's of early VA and need some
clarification. From various postings, I understand that the original
spelling of the Eye surname was "Au." To this end, the following Au's
are of record as follows:

"[List 229 A] A List of Names of all the Palatine Male Passengers from
Sixteen to Sixty years of age, Imported in the Ship RECOVERY, Amos
Jones, Master, From Rotterdam & Cowes at Wilmington [Delaware]. Humbly
presented to the Honorable Governor Morris. October 23, 1754."

Included among the passengers [with original spellings] are:

Fredrick Au
Gerick Au
Christafur Au

SOURCE: Strassburger, Ralph Beaver. Pennsylvania German Pioneers, Vol.
I-II (2). Norristown, Pennsylvania: Pennsylvania German Society, 1934.

As, in a very distant manner (and if my research is correct), I'm
seemingly related to Christopher Eye and his wife Catherine Zorn,
through their daughter Mary Ann and her husband Conrad Varner, is this
Christafur Au in fact Christopher Eye? If so, who were Fredrick and
Gerick?

Thanks for any comments.

Brett F. Woods
Santa Fe, New Mexico