EmergingTech-L Archives

Archiver > EmergingTech > 2007-06 > 1183214003

From: "Peter Walker" <>
Subject: Re: [ET] design feedback
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 15:33:23 +0100

wrote:

> My main reason for posting here is that someone replied to me
> saying that
> the site is "visually and functionally atrocious, confusing,
> restrictive and gaudy." While I don't agree, I also realize I don't
> have an objective viewpoint. So if there are people here who have an
> eye for
> good design, in
> general web design or in genealogy functionality, I welcome feedback.

Ray,

Others have commented that the page is a bit busy. My screen is 1280x1024
and with wide screens like this, it's irritating to have pages where the
text stretches right across the screen - it's difficult to read. Many
designers use fixed width sites (designed for viewing on 800x600 screens
minimum) and this makes the whole thing easier and the layout predictable.

Another point is to keep any launch or home page really simple: just
introduce the site and say what it contains - don't overload it with
content.

As others have noted, I prefer TNG for displaying my trees
http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/software.php I think it's hard to beat - I
certainly wouldn't try to compete with it!

Good luck with your site

Peter Walker
Hollyer~Holyer~Hollier One Name Study
Web: http://www.hollyer.name