EmergingTech-L Archives

Archiver > EmergingTech > 2007-06 > 1183215285

Subject: Re: [ET] design feedback
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 10:54:57 -0400 (EDT)

Thanks for the info. My screen is 1600x1200, even larger than yours, but I rarely have the browser window maximized. It is usually sized to about 1/2 the screen, leaving room for other windows -- usually my site, and other genealogy sites or resources showing at the same time. Maximizing the window defeats the purpose of having a higher resolution. :)

On the other hand, for people who have 1024x768 or other sizes, I wouldn't want to restrict the display to only 800x600, as this is taking the control out of their hands and forcing them to use smaller size. I prefer to let it size itself, and leave it up to you to control the width you want to see.

I did look at TNG, and it definitely looks superior to PhpGedView in functionality and design, but it also has a price tag. Whenever I'm looking for software to use, and I see a price, I immediately move on to other choices.

I'm also committed to intention of encouraging researchers to post into one common integrated tree, rather than proliferating more and more unconnected sets of data. If we search hard enough, we are all related.

----------------
Ray Gurganus

www.gurganus.org

----- Original Message from Peter Walker on 06/30/07 -----
wrote:

> My main reason for posting here is that someone replied to me
> saying that
> the site is "visually and functionally atrocious, confusing,
> restrictive and gaudy." While I don't agree, I also realize I don't
> have an objective viewpoint. So if there are people here who have an
> eye for
> good design, in
> general web design or in genealogy functionality, I welcome feedback.

Ray,

Others have commented that the page is a bit busy. My screen is 1280x1024
and with wide screens like this, it's irritating to have pages where the
text stretches right across the screen - it's difficult to read. Many
designers use fixed width sites (designed for viewing on 800x600 screens
minimum) and this makes the whole thing easier and the layout predictable.

Another point is to keep any launch or home page really simple: just
introduce the site and say what it contains - don't overload it with
content.

As others have noted, I prefer TNG for displaying my trees
http://lythgoes.net/genealogy/software.php I think it's hard to beat - I
certainly wouldn't try to compete with it!

Good luck with your site

Peter Walker
Hollyer~Holyer~Hollier One Name Study
Web: http://www.hollyer.name