FAIRMAN-L Archives

Archiver > FAIRMAN > 2006-07 > 1153660959

Subject: Re: Fairman gunsmith
Date: 23 Jul 2006 07:22:39 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/ldV.2ACIB/87.1.1.2

Message Board Post:

Hello Kathryn

Coincidentally I found a Fairman last night who was a Gun Maker in Chelsea when looking at the census records, whilst trying to find my long lost G Grandad Fairman (see my message on this board dd 3/3/06).

The one I found was called James Fairman who was born in c 1803 in the parish Christ Church, Blackfriars. In the 1851 census he was living with his wife, Elizabeth Jane b c 1804 City Road Middx, and 2 sons, Charles William age 20 and John Charles age 11 at 8 Whitehinds Grove, Chelsea (still there and located between the Kings Road and Brompton Road). In 1861 he was living with his wife, Louisa age 42 at 20 Lambeth Terrace, Lambeth (road not found). I can't find him after that.

I've found:
1) a possible death record for Elizabeth Jane:
Name: Elizabeth Jane Fairman
Year of Registration: 1851 Dec qtr
District: Chelsea (1841-1981)
Volume: 3 Page: 61
2) a possible 2nd marriage record:
Name: James Fairman and Louisa Jane Greenwood
Year of Registration: 1854 June qtr
District: St Saviour Southwark
Volume: 1d Page: 12
3) a possible death record for James:
Name: James Fairman
Birth Date: abt 1801
Year of Registration: 1870 Mar qtr
District: Kensington
Volume: 1a Page: 132

I hope this gives you and your friend a good start with your research.

If you would like me to send the census records to you, please email on

Best wishes

Alison Smith nee Milton
From Kent

This thread: