FEEFHS-L Archives

Archiver > FEEFHS > 2005-12 > 1134741156

Subject: Re: Klodzen
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 08:52:36 EST

Thank you all for your many helpful replies. By way of information, Steve
John Klodzen was my uncle, Marie Sabin is my sister, also seeking similar
information. What's interesting, or perhaps clouding the issue, is that:

Our surname Klodzen, and it's several variants, certainly, as you have
advised, appears to be German in origin, and I even remember my father, who was born
in PA, frequently using the German phrase "Wie gehts" (short for "Was gehen
sie")...but,

On the 1900-1910 Federal Census reports, Dad's father and mother listed their
ethnic language as "Slovak," and their country of origin as either Hungary,
or Slovak Hungary, never Austria or Germany. One of Dad's brothers later cited
his parent's country of origin as Czechoslovakia (in the1930 Federal Census),
and another brother's death certificate cited his place of birth as Vienna.

Remembering of course that the entire region was called Austria-Hungary at
the time my grandparents and uncle lived there, I imagine that they could have
thought of themselves as either Hungarian, Austrian, or Slovak/Hungarian.
German was the official language of the country, yet my grandparents told the 1900
census taker that they spoke Slovak. As another gentleman indicated with
regard to his family, mine also was very closed mouthed about their origins. Dad's
only infrequent comment was that "We were poor," ...and that was in
Pennsylvania.

Your further thoughts appreciated. Many thanks, you are a very helpful group.
I'll continue to search for Naturalization records, which if still in
existance, ought to answer some of my questions.

Respectfully,
Eugene Klodzen

This thread: