FEEFHS-L Archives

Archiver > FEEFHS > 2005-12 > 1134742533

From: <>
Subject: RE: Klodzen
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:15:33 -0500

At that time, many Slovaks lived under Hungarian rule. My grandparents grew up in the Old Szepes Megye of Hungary in the part that was turned over to Slovakia in the treaty after WWI. On their immigration records, it states Hungarian for country of origin, Slovak for ethnicity and Slovak as the language.

There were many towns and villages in those areas that have a history of a Hungarian town name, a German town name and a Slovakian town name. Talk about confusing the issue!

I don't know the age of the folks you are researching; however, if they had a social security number issued (in the late 30s or so), you can request a copy of their actual SS-5, the application. Everyone had to apply, and on it they had to list their birth information AND their parents name (even if they were no longer living). You can get this from the Social Security Administration. It's about 25.00 or so. Quite a useful place to start actually.

Good luck in your searches! If I run across any other info (I am in the "K" sections alot, my maiden name was Kupcik) I will post it.