FENN-L Archives

Archiver > FENN > 2002-10 > 1033526600

Subject: [FENN] Why did Zachariah Fenn leave Virginia for Georgia?
Date: 1 Oct 2002 20:43:20 -0600

Classification: Query

Message Board URL:

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/an/QEW.2ACEB/165

Message Board Post:

We all owe a great debt of gratitude to Doyle Fenn for his well-researched book "Footprints and Wagontracks" with its section on Fenn genealogy, but I have been able to turn up a few tidbits of additional information on the Fenn's that are not in his book.

One interesting piece of information answers the question as to why Zachariah Fenn left Virginia for Georgia in the first place. It was not, as Doyle speculates, "...that good land was cheap or free in Georgia, and settlers were reasonable free from Indian attack;" although these also could have been considerations in his choice to move there. Zachariah probably left Virginia because of the lure of trade with the Alabama Indians. Another ancestor of mine, Thomas Andrews, was an Indian trader of this time period, and from information I have about him, I know that South Carolina Indian traders of this time period did indeed go as far as Alabama (even Mississippi and beyond) to trade there.

>From the book "South Carolina Indians and Traders and Other Ethnic Connections Beginning in 1670" by Theresa M. Hicks (p. 88-89):

Edmund Atkin
His Majesty's Agent for and Superintendent of Indian Affairs. He was formerly a Charles Town merchant, in partnership with John Atkin. Member of Council in 1748. Edmond Atkin, Esq., native of city of Exeter, England, had a will dated at Congaree 22 May 1760. He named his wife: Lady Ann, ... He held a pew at the Independent or Congregational Church in Charleston. As Superintendent for Indian Affairs in the southern part of British North America, Atkin forbid British traders and Indians of the Upper Creek and Talapoosa areas from sending the goods of British origin to the Alabama Indians or other friends of the French. Persons who accompanied Atkin into the territory of the "Allbahma Indians" 1758-59 were: Isaac O'Daniel,....Zachariah Fenn, ...(Article in National Genealogical Society Quarterly).

This thread: