FERMANAGH-GOLD-L Archives

Archiver > FERMANAGH-GOLD > 2001-08 > 0997225439

From: "Kathleen Emerson" <>
Subject: [FER-GOLD] EMERSON/1809-1870/Near Enniskillen/Johnston, Beatty, Banford
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 17:03:59 -0600

I have researched other Irish counties but am new to Fermanagh research. Would SKS
send me notes about what is contained on the F-Gold web site? Is there a bibliography of
LDS FHLC microfilms? Are there parish maps? I did look at the site this morning but
found it a bit confusing at first glimpse. I'll be grateful for any tips as to what Parish the
Emerson home was in, how to access C. of I. records, etc.

I'm researching my husband's Emerson ancestors and have extracted from his family
history (by R. Edna Johnston) a bit of information about their neighborhood and a few other Fermanagh names mentioned, which I hope will be of general interest.

Edward Emerson born 1809 died 1888, married Isabella Musgrove, born 1817 died 1910.
Edward's parents were William Emerson and Mary Wilson. I have a list of Edward's
parents were James Chittoch Musgrove born 1789 died 1871 and his wife Ann
Rutledge, born 1786 died 1868, and is buried in Tempo Cemetery.

After their marriage on Jan. 1, 1836 by Rev. MacWilliams, a Presbyterian minister,
Edw. & Isabella lived in the Mosgove farmhouse where 3
generations of Mosgroves had been born. The farm was about 15 miles east of Enniskillen.
Nearby towns were Tempo, Five-Mile Town, Brookeborough. The Many Burns River, about
12 miles wide and not very deep, flowed near the house. The Emersons were members of
the Church of Ireland and attended Tattykern church about a mile from their home, or sometimes
Colebrook Church. Lady Brooke had square pews in each church. The Brookes had a vast
estate and the town of Brookeborough was named for them. The Emersons operated a
small neighborhood store in a stone outbuilding at their farm.

The Emerson history states that elementary education was compulsory and the Emerson
children attended a one-room school nearly a mile from home. The teacher was always
male. Church and state were united so the Bible was taught in school on Saturday
mornings and the Church of Ireland confirmation services observed. Apparently sewing,
knitting, and embroidery were part of the curriculum for the girls. The eldest of Edw. &
Isabella's children went as far as the teacher could take him - two books in algebra,
geometry, trigonometry, etc., and at age 13 was apprenticed at a drug store for five
years.

Here are a few other County Fermanagh names gleaned from the Emerson history:
Margaret Emerson born ca 1809, married James Banford. They went to Australia in
1870. Son George and daughter Margaret also went to Australia. Son James went
to Canada. Remaining in Ireland were children William, Robert, Edward, Susan who
married Galbrath Moffett, Mary who married John Crawford. Robert Emerson born
ca 1809 married Ann Musgrove (Isabella Musgrove's sister) and they stayed in
Ireland. Daughters Jane and Mary Ann went to NY. William, James, Margaret,
Isabella, and Edward went to Australia. Robert, Thomas, and Eliza stayed in Ireland
and Thomas lived near Tempo. Thomas Emerson married Tillie ______? and they
stayed in Ireland. Mary Ann married William Smith. Other children were Noble,
Matilda, and Bella Margaret who stayed in Ireland, and William who went to the US.

James Lowrey Johnston, birthplace near the Emerson farm in Fermanagh, accompanied
Margaret and John Emerson (children of Edward and Isabella Emerson) to Ontario,
Canada in 1863 and later married an Emerson sister, Ann, in Albert Lea, MN, US.
James was trained as a stone mason in County Fermanagh.

Samuel Beatty, a trained stonecutter, also from the same area of County Fermanagh,
married Mary Emerson in 1876 in Albert Lea, MN.

The four oldest children of Edw. & Isabella Emerson emigrated to Canada in 1862 and
1863, and then settled in Mansfield Township, MN. On August 12, 1870 Edw., Isabella,
the remaining 9 children, and Isabella's father James Chittoch Musgrove took the train
from Fintona to Londonderry, and on August 13 they boarded the steamer "Morivian" to
begin their voyage. The crossing took about a week. They went by ship down the St.
Lawrence to Montreal, crossed into the U.S. at Sarnia, went to Milwaukee, WI and then
by train to Albert Lea, MN. It appears they arrived in MN before the end of August.
The history doesn't mention other Fermanagh people on the
voyage but there were some Fermanagh people near them in MN.

Kathleen.

This thread: