FERMANAGH-GOLD-L Archives

Archiver > FERMANAGH-GOLD > 2004-10 > 1097445125

From: "mmparker" <>
Subject: Re: [FER-GOLD] Andrew & Eliz. Keys
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:52:05 -0700

Henson

The explanation that I am sending is not my own but was copied from an advertisement for a CD which contained an Index of those who paid Tithes:

"The Tithe survey was similar to Griffith's Valuation in that both were conducted in order to calculate the taxes owed by landowners. Unlike Griffith's survey, however, the Tithe survey was conducted in order to fund the Church of Ireland. Each landowner was taxed a specific amount based on their holdings; the amount of that tax, or tithe, would then be sent to the church. Information gathered during the survey included the name of the landowner, parish, town, the size of their property, the quality of their land, and the type of crops grown, if any.
Not every area was included in the Tithe survey; towns were excluded, as was land which was occupied by clergymen, or land which had previously belonged to a monastery. The Tithe Applotment Books span approximately 2,000 volumes, and include approximately 200,000 entries for the six counties of Antrim, Armagh, Derry, Down, Fermanagh, and Tyrone."

You can find all sorts of information on the subject if you do a Google search for "Tithes Applotment+Ireland"

Martha Parker