FERMANAGH-GOLD-L Archives

Archiver > FERMANAGH-GOLD > 2008-03 > 1206130346

From: "barry bradfield" <>
Subject: Re: FER-GOLD 1659
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 20:12:26 -0000

Hi Wendy,
As I previously told you Pender used Petty's Survey of the 1650's and the
Ordinances taxes of the 1650's/1660's to create what is now called the 1659
census. This was done in the 1930's. In is in now way exact but a useful
guide book.

On the Hearth Money Roll for Fermanagh (a tax on the number of chimneys
each house had) in 1666 James Sumervell is living in the town of
Enniskillen. (One of 53 in the town in the town of Enniskillen who had a
hearth/chimney)
He was not living there in the previous tax year of 1665.
So another question answered.

Barry