FERMANAGH-GOLD-L Archives

Archiver > FERMANAGH-GOLD > 2011-11 > 1320855907

From: "Doris Kelly" <>
Subject: FERMANAGH-GOLD Johnston and Anderson families
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 10:25:07 -0600

I have a record, from those that were transcribed by members of this list, of John Anderson and Anne Johnston in St Mary's church in Ardess. The record lists their marriage as April 16, 1844 but from what Canadian records I have they say they were married May 16, 1844. Could it be that the St Mary's church record was a date for the posting of banns? Was this done in protestant churches at that time?

The record says that John Anderson was from Muckross, parish of Drumkeeran and Anne Johnston was from Tullanaglug, Parish of Magheraculmoney. This along with the birth record of John from that same source was my brick wall and my first indication of where the Johnston's and Andersons came from. Before that I did not know their respective Townlands. I only knew that they came from Fermanagh.

John's baptismal record at Tubrid church in Kesh states he was baptized Feb 13, 1820 and that his parents names were James Anderson and Mary. Unfortunately they did not give his mother's maiden name. We think it was Trotter but have not been able to find any record to prove it. In census records and any other records we have found in Canada he gives his birth date as May 24, anywhere from 1818 to 1821. I also have the baptismal record of his twin siblings George and Mary which states they came from Muckross.

I have another question. If they came from Muckross where would it be likely for their mother Mary (Trotter?) Anderson to have been buried? She died sometime after her last child was born in 1831-1835 and 1844 when her father and some of her siblings came to Canada.

Doris

This thread: