FICKLING-L Archives

Archiver > FICKLING > 1999-12 > 0944189936

From: "William A. Fickling, III" <>
Subject: RE: [FICKLING] Ficklings in Columbia and Charleston
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1999 21:58:56 -0500

Reed,

That sounds fine. There isn't any particular hurry, other than trying to
place Janet and Jean's Samuel Fickling, which Ruth's chart will probably be
of more help. I have found some of the information from Ruth's chart which
you can review on the web site. I have also put in a call to James Fickling
in hopes that he may know at least the names of Henry Samuel Fickling's
brothers.

BTW, have you seen this lawsuit?

106
SAMUEL REED et. al. vs. JOSEPH FICKLING et.al.
Partition Proceedings. Filed Sept.20, 1854.

Petitioners allege that HUGH REED late of B[arnwell]. D[istrict]., died
intestate (blank date) possessed of a large estate of both real and personal
property; the personal estate has been sold by Samuel Reed the Admr. The
real estate consists of two tracts in said District on or near the Edisto
River; the first being about 2700 acres and the second being 300 acres. On
the larger tract are “a valuable set of sawmills” and other improvements.
There being no personal estate and no one in charge of the mills they are in
danger of deterioration from non—use as well as destruction by fire or
water, and it is of great importance to the distributees that some early
disposition of same be made. Though only 9 months have elapsed a since the
death of said Hugh Reed, yet there is no good reason why the property
especially the large tract should not be disposed of at this time, The
heirs—at—law of the dec’d are: James W., Samuel and George J. Reed, Ann
Zeigler wife of a John A. Zeigler, Mary wife of Michael Willis, and the
following grandchildren: Henry S. Fickling, Mary wife of Darling S. Tyler
(she being nee Fickling), Sarah A. Segrest nee Fickling wife of Urbane D.
Segrest, Florence Fickling, Joseph Fickling, Cornelia and Pauline Fickling,
all being children of a predeceased daughter Mrs. Elizabeth Reed Fickling;
also great—grandchildren William and Olivia Hartzog, infant children of Jane
Hartzog a predeceased daughter of said Mrs. Elizabeth Fickling; and the said
Florence, Joseph, Cornelia and Pauline Fickling and the two Hartzog children
are all minors.

Commissioners (or partitioners) were appointed and made their return
recommending the sale of said lands and proceeds be divided. They found the
lands in five tracts totalling 3148 acres; one tract of 960 acres with
privilege of one—half of the saw and grits mill thereon, appraised at $5.00
per acre; 1421 acres with privilege of the other half of said mill, © $4.00
per acre; 178 acres @ $5.00 per acre; 256 acres © $5.00 per acre; and 333
acres © $5.00 per acre. It is stated that the last named tract of 333 acres
is the home place tract having thereon the family graveyard and it is
recommended that in the sale of said tract two acres be reserved for said
graveyard together with a right—of—way also be reserved for road leading
from the Charleston Public Road to the graveyard, a distance of about 100
yards, The report was adopted and the lands ordered sold for division. Same
were sold Feb. 1855, as follows: 960 acre tract to James W. Reed and John A.
Zeigler for $4090.00; 1426—acre tract to Charles Ray for $3000.00; 178 acre
tract to John A. Zeigler for $590.00; 256 acre tract to Samuel Reed for
$1140.00; the 333—acre tract with graveyard and R/W reserved, to James W,
Reed for $1495.00. The decree confirming said sales (which were public
sales) specified the two acres be reserved as a burying—ground for the Hugh
Reed family and their descendants, and same be reserved from said sale
together with said Right—of-way.

Thanks,
Bill