FIELDS-L Archives

Archiver > FIELDS > 2002-10 > 1034346021

From: Genibug <>
Subject: Re: South Carolina FIELDS
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 07:20:24 -0700 (PDT)

Michelle and all,

SC seems to be a dead end for me in regards to my FIELDS family who
came from there to KY. So here's goes some of the info. on them in
hopes it fits in w/ the info. someone else has. If not, please keep me
in mind for any connections you may make in the future.

MAJOR F. FIELDS, b-1813/1814,SC (my 2G-G.father) & his brother ROBERT
FIELDS, b- abt.1809,SC came to the Jackson Purchase area of western KY
(western most part) abt. 1829 as far as I can tell. As far as we can
tell, Major is a name & not a military rank in this instance. Anyway,
both men are on the 1830 census for Hickman Co, KY as single. Soon,
however, the county marriage records have Robert mar. to Sarah GARDINER
in 1831 & Major mar. Nancy LINDER in 1836. Both men farmed the same
adjacent land for 30 or so years. On the 1850 & 1860 census each man
states that he was born in South Carolina...but unfortunately, no
parents names are given or family Bibles are to be found that state
this. No DC can be found on either of them, as they died before 1900,
which might state a parent name.

At one time I ferretted out the name of a Revolutionary war soldier
Major FIELDS in s.w. VA, Washington Co. Trying to put this Major
FIELDS w/ mine has not yielded any real proof that the two were
related...just that the names were the same. Lee FIELDS was kind enough
to drop by & take a few pix of the graves there @ the Mt. Zion cemetery
on his journey elsewhere. The book "High On A Windy Hill" has some
info. on this VA Major FIELDS & his wife Sarah "Sally" WILDER...but
that's where the trail ends for me.

If there anyone who might make a connection between SC & KY and a MAJOR
FIELDS I'd be most appreciative of a lead..and am willing to share what
I have as well. I'm very interested in the SC FIELDS who may have been
of Native American heritage too.

Kind Regards, Martha