FILLMORE-L Archives

Archiver > FILLMORE > 1998-04 > 0893820329

From: <>
Subject: Re: Our Pioneer Heritage - Utah
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 1998 22:25:29 -0500

OUR PIONEER HERITAGE - UTAH

Our Pioneer Heritage
Volume 1
From the Journal and Diary of Isaiah Moses Coombs
Fanny's Children

23rd-My brother Hyrum and family came on this morning's train. There
are six of them. Hyrum, his wife,
Josephine, Maria, Lelia, Mary, and Fern. This, with Isaiah and wife and
our hired girl Drucile Fillmore, make
nine at our home, besides the family. We are pretty well crowded, but
in good humor and enjoying ourselves.

Our Pioneer Heritage
Volume 7
They Came in 1863
Men Appointed Captains
Emigrant's Guide

My father, Alvus H. Patterson, was born May 17, 1825, in Taswell
County, Tennessee. His early boyhood was
spent on a farm with his father. He hired out to a drover buying and
selling cattle, and through doing this he
finally drifted into Wisconsin. It was here that he met and married
Martha Fillmore December 23, 1846, at the
town of Franklin, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin. She was born at
Bennington, New York, October 25, 1830.
Thirteen children were born to them, two of which died and were buried
in Wisconsin. In December, 1846,
Minor Prisbee, a missionary, and his son, labored in Milwaukee,
Wisconsin, and through his teachings the
Patterson family was converted to the L.D.S. religion which made them
very unpopular with their friends. They
were very anxious to come to Utah, so one night when all was quiet they
left their home and everything in it
and started for Zion. They went to Warsaw, Minnesota, thinking they
would find some L.D.S. members
migrating to the West. In 1859 they learned of a company leaving
Florence for the West. It was in January and
the weather was bitter cold. With their little flock of six, the
youngest six weeks old, they started with their
yoke of oxen. The children were Annie, Mary, Lutisha, Lavina, Nora and
Lucinda. When they reached the
Missouri River it was found to be in a dangerous condition and Father
was told he was very unwise to
endeavor to cross.

Our Pioneer Heritage
Volume 7
They Came in 1863
Men Appointed Captains
Emigrant's Guide

We arrived in Utah in the fall of 1860 and came to Payson where Mother
found her two brothers, Daniel and
Millen Fillmore. Our first month was spent in a dugout on the east side
of Payson until material could be
secured to build a home. We girls would go to the saleratus beds
between Spanish Fork and Payson, and
scrape the saleratus up with spoons, tin plates or anything else we
could use. This we took home to Mother
and she would place it in water so the dirt would settle from the
saleratus, then she would drain off the clear
water and place it in bottles. This we used in mixing bread, as soda is
used at the present time. We also
gleaned wheat to help provide for the family. Our mother would then put
a tarpaulin on the ground and thresh
the grain herself. We then carried it to the mill which was run by
Orville Simons for a number of years. Father
obtained employment from our bishop whose name was Franklin Young. In
1863 Father was made captain of
an immigrant train. In all he made eleven trips across those dreary
plains, ever working for the benefit of
others.

Our Pioneer Heritage
Volume 8
That They May Live Again
Daniel H. Wells and His Wives
Emigrant's Guide

My parents were married Sept. 15, 1822, by Jessie Fillmore of Salem. I
was their second daughter. When I was
between two and three years old they moved to Salem, my mother's
childhood home. When I was 13 years old
the Gospel was brought to us by Elders Erastus Snow and Benjamin
Winchester, and in 1841 my parents
accepted and embraced it, and were baptized in 1842. At this time I
also received a strong testimony of its
divinity which greatly impressed me, although I was but a child, and it
has never left me. In October of the
same year they started with their family of seven children for Nauvoo
but did not arrive until the first of
January, 1843; on account of the Mississippi River being frozen over,
we were obliged to remain at Alson,
Illinois, for about six weeks, then we started again and got as far as
Quincy and went by team the rest of the
way. There we had the privilege of seeing the Prophet Joseph Smith and
listening to his voice and to the
words of inspiration that fell from his lips. I shall never forget
them. They are as vivid to my mind as if it were
but yesterday they were uttered. I can testify of his Divine Mission
and know for a surety that he was a
prophet of the Most High God. In 1844 I was baptized in the Mississippi
River at Nauvoo by Erastus Snow
and confirmed by Elder Amasa Lyman.

Our Pioneer Heritage
Volume 13
William Wood-Pioneer
Sailor-Crimean War
Company E

I walked to Sheerness the next day. The Crimean war was on then and so
everything was excitement. I applied
to Geo. Fillmore, a butcher, for a position. He had the contract for
supplying the army and navy with meat, and
was killing about fifty head of cattle per week. When I asked him for
employment he said "I fear you are not
proficient enough and you are too young." I said, "Sir, I am not
particular about wages; pray will you give me
a trial." He said, "Well, I will see how you can strip a bullock." So I
peeled off and went into the
slaughterhouse, knocked down a beef, and commenced to skin it. Mr.
Fillmore said, "That will do, you suit me.
Finish the bullock and come into the shop-I want to talk to you." When
I went in, he asked what wages I
wanted. I told him to please pay me the best he could with board and
lodging. He asked if 13s. 6d. per week
would satisfy me, and I told him that it would. He then told me to go
right to work, and I did. I cannot express
in language how I felt. However, I acknowledged the hand of God in it,
and I believe to this day that the
increase of wages from 3s. 6d. per week to 13s. 6d. was a blessing from
the Lord because I would not recant
Mormonism and in answer to my prayers and for a fixed determination to
gather to the valleys of the
mountains.

Our Pioneer Heritage
Volume 20
Bands and Orchestras
Utah County
Weber County

The Huish Band. Payson, like other towns in the early history of the
state, had to create its own amusements.
Naturally the need for music was felt keenly and an early Martial Band
was formed. This musical organization
remained in existence for many years. It was first composed of Milan
Lucian Fillmore, his brother Daniel
Fillmore, Joseph S. Bills, a cousin of the Fillmore boys, and Isaac
Hancock.

Our Pioneer Heritage
Volume 20
Bands and Orchestras
Utah County
Weber County

In 1881 Huish Band was selected to furnish the music for the May Day
celebration. During this same year
George Peery came to Payson. He had played the cornet in bands in his
native state of Missouri, and he
proved a delightful asset. James and Edgar Fillmore and Mary Wightman,
who played the snare drum, became
members, and the organization began to be known as Huish's Four in One
with: 1-Band led by Edward
Huish; 2-Orchestra under leadership of T. A. Montague; 3-Vaudeville,
Orson Pratt Huish; 4-Dramatics,
Joseph W. Huish. The purposes of the organization were cultural
development, entertainment and, finally,
profit. At a country band contest held in Provo, the Payson Band took
first place with the Huish Band a fine
second. Judge Edward Kent remarked that he knew no band of twelve
members that could equal the Huish
group.

This thread: