FITZGERALD-L Archives

Archiver > FITZGERALD > 1999-08 > 0935955891

From: John Fitzgerald <>
Subject: Re: [FITZGERALD] FITZGERALD/O'CONNOR,1855 Story Co,IA,USA
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 15:44:51 -0400

Dear Maryl:

I hope that your last name actually is Hook, or does your e-maill address abbreviate
it? Just in order to add you as an addressee to my reply to your message I had to
guess re full name. I suppose that I could have been a bit more conscientious when I
visited your website, which I found loaded with good Sullivan information. My
Sullivans, James and Ellen and children, came from somewhere nearby yours in Kenmare,
from a place they called "Direenamackin, Ballybog parish," which might be equivalent
to either Derrynamucklagh in County Kerry, Tuosist parish, Kenmare Poor Law district
or Derreenamucklagh, Kilcrohane parish (also known as Ballybog parish), Kenmare Poor
Law district. They settled in Winchendon, northern Worcester County, Massachusetts by
1850. I only discovered the "Direenamackin" connection from an ad that Ellen placed
in the mid-1850's in the Boston Pilot newspaper (and culled from "Missing Friends").
We have a lot of common names in our descendancies similar to ones in both your
Sullivan and Fitzgerald ancestries. I have not fully read what I printed from your
website, but will try to get back to you with more information later, certainly if I
can discern a connection. I do not know where my Fitzgeralds are from, probably
either from Kerry (most likely) or Cork counties. My gg-grandfather, Edward
F(rancis?) Fitzgerald, married an Abby (prob. Abigail) Sullivan, daughter of the James
and Ellen above, in 1855 in nearby (to Winchendon) Fitchburg, Massachusetts. Some of
my Fitzgeralds and Sullivans served in the nearby Vermont regiments during the Civil
War. My ancestry might even include that Garret Fitzgerald you cite as the accomplice
who stole sheep with your "transported" Sullivan ancestor. My 76-year-old father's
name is the same as the John William Fitzgerald you related in your message and my
ggg-grandfather (Edward F. Fitzgerald, Sr.'s dad) was also a John, but I have no other
identifying information for him. My grand hope is that your John William may be a
second cousin from Vermont, contemporary with my Edward Francis Fitzgerald, Jr., born
to Edward, Sr. and Abby in Winchendon.

You might also want to check out the collaboration forum at:
sullivans<> or join the Kerry forum of this RootsWeb site.

Sincerely, Jack Fitzgerald (John Michael Fitzgerald) in St. Augustine, Florida

mhook wrote:

> Hi All - Does anyone recognize these Fitzgeralds? Thomas and Ellen were probably
> born in Ireland (possibly Cork since they intermarried with folks from
> Kerry/Cork). More info on these folks at: http://www.avana.net/~mhook
> Thanks for any help, regards, Maryl

This thread: