FL-BREVARD-GENSOC-L Archives

Archiver > FL-BREVARD-GENSOC > 2005-07 > 1120836798

From: "Carol and Bill Tuttle" <>
Subject: Re: [BGS] Brickwall Deadline
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 11:33:18 -0400

Peter

Thanks so much for the "brick wall" project. My "brick wall" involves the
identities of my 3rd great grandparents in my Tuttle line.

My 2nd great grandfather, Merritt Tuttle, was born March 08, 1781 in Albany,
Albany County, New York. The identities of his parents are unknown (my
"brick wall"). He died May 01, 1856 and is buried in Esperance Cemetery,
Esperance, Schoharie County, New York. He married Sarah Mandell September
21, 1820 in the Third Presbyterian Church, Albany, Albany County, New York.
They had seven children. Merritt was born and died in or near Albany. He
lived seventy five years probably all in the Albany area.

Merritt is a popular name given to boys in my ancestor line. It started
with my 2nd great grandfather and continued to my father's brother. Of the
approximately 19,000 Tuttles listed in the book ,"Tuttle & Tuthill Lines in
America," compiled by Alva M. Tuttle, only 16 Merritts are included and most
of them are in my line. Also, the 1800 US Census of Albany County lists a
Tuttle and a Merritt on adjacent lines. Very few Tuttles and even fewer
Merritts lived in the Albany area at that time. Accordingly, it may be
reasonable to assume that my 3rd great grandmother may be a daughter of a
Merritt family.

As for my 3rd great grandfather, he could be a son of Stephen Tuttle and his
first wife, Mary Coulter. According to "Tuttle & Tuthill Lines in America"
Stephen and his second wife, Mary Graham, moved to the Albany area between
1766 and 1770. Mary was the sister of John Graham who lived there and
Stephen owned a sizable amount of land there. He was a Loyalist in the
American Revolution and was forced to flee to Quebec and later to Nova
Scotia. However, based on two separate sources, Stephen's first four sons
served in the American Revolution. It is assumed that they did not
accompany their father to Canada and were part of those very few Tuttles
living in the Albany area.

I have been working on this "brick wall" for some time now and touched a lot
of bases. I can make assumptions that seem to work out but I would like to
be able to develop conclusions that can be documented. Any suggestions will
be appreciated.

Thanks again.

Bill Tuttle