FLOWERS-L Archives

Archiver > FLOWERS > 1998-10 > 0908988219

From: "Cheryl White" <>
Subject: Re: Goldsborough/Goolsbury Flowers
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 12:43:39 -0400

Hi Cheryl,
I have some pages from a book that have the following line it. If you're
interested I have typed it in here for you. I'm sorry that I don't know
the name of the book but, it was sent to me by a man who had it for years
and doesn't recall the name of the book either. Most of it matches what
you have but there is some extra information here and some dates and places
that weren't mentioned when you posted. Hope this adds a little to your
data. If anyone recognizes the book that this comes from would love to
know the name of it.
Goldsborough "Goolsbury" Flowers, was born ca. 1765 and died in Columbus
Co, NC in June of 1838. He represented Columbus Co. in the state
legislature in 1813. Deed Book "A", page 463 of the records of Pike Co, AL
shows that Luke Flowers gave Power of Attorney to his brother, Richard
Flowers, to "secure my distributive share of the personal estate of my
deceased father, Gouldsberry Flowers, late of Columbus Co, NC" on 17 Oct.
1838.
The wife of Goldsborough Flowers was Rebecca Wingate. It appears that she
was born ca. 1765 and died ca. 1845. Goldsborough Flowers was said to have
been a planter who owned about fifty slaves. His nephew, Uriah G. Flowers
(in the 1907 letter), described him as being "a remarkably fine looking
large man." There was a lawsuit after the death of Goldsborough Flowers
because some of his children thought that he had made a will and the others
said that he had not. Apparently some of the children thought that the
others knew of the will but destroyed it. The children of Goldsborough and
Rebecca (Wingate) Flowers were:
1. Mary Flowers b. c. 1788, m. James Griffin.
2. Hannah Flowers, b. c. 1792. m. Lott Williamson
3. John Flowers b. 1796 d. in Pike Co, AL 1854, m. Nancy Williamson
4. Richard Flowers (more on him below)
5. Goolsbury Flowers b. c. 1800 d. in Coffee Co, AL c. 1848, m. Edy (or
Eady) Williamson, a dau. of Richard Williamson of Columbus Co, NC.
Goolsbury and Edy joined Union Springs Primitive Baptis Church (near
Brundidge, AL) in 1841.
6. Ignatious Flowers, b. c. 1803 d. in Columbus Co, NC in May of 1875 m.
1st Susannah Williamson 2nd Rebecca Noble
7. Luke Flowers b. c. 1809 d. in Pike Co, AL c. 1874
8. Susanna Flowers m. Samuel Bright.

Richard Flowers #2 above
Richard Flowers b. in NC 29 Nov. 1797 d. in Pike Co, AL 27 Oct. 1893.
"Uncle Dickie Flowers," as he was locally known, was married twice. He
married the 2nd time in Pike Co, AL Lucinda Graves, dau. of Stephen and
Rachel (Graves) Graves. Lucinda was b. 28 Oct. 1819 and died 8 Jan. 1904.
Both Richard and Lucinda are buried in the field on the Rayvon Graham
place, south of Brundidge, AL.
The following item appeared in the The Troy Enquirer on 12 Nov. 1887: "Mr.
Richard Flowers spent las Sunday and Monday on a visit to his daughter,
Mrs. M. V. Gibson, in this city. He is in the 90th year of his age and is
still remarkabley active and energetic for one of his age."
The children of Richard Flowers were:
1. Abner Flowers b. c. 1825 d. in 1864 while serving the Confederate army.
He is the only known child by Richard's first wife. Abner m. Martha Jane
Graves in 1849 in Pike Co, AL
2. Rebecca Flowers b. 1 Jan. 1837, d. 22 Feb. 1891 m. Martin Van Buren
Gibson.
3. Avinder Flowers b. c. 1838
4. Hannah Flowers b. 13 Jul. 1840 d. 22 Nov. 1921 m. Samuel Wilson
5. Joseph Flowers b. c. 1842 d. while serving in the Confederate army.
6. Marenda Flowers b. 13 Jan. 1845 d. 19 Apr. 1926 m. Daniel T. Carter
7. Susannah Flowers b. c. 1846

Let me know if you would like me to check for any other names in these few
pages of the descendants of Ignatious Flowers. I'm sure it's not complete.
It looks like a person had written it for basically her tree but did
include a few of the branches from her ancestors.

Cheryl White

http://www.angelfire.com/me/geneal
ICQ #7239631
IM Cheryl gen