FRANKLIN-L ArchivesArchiver > FRANKLIN > 2000-11 > 0974419593
Subject: FRANKLIN - BEDFORD COUNTY, VIRGINIA
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:06:33 EST
What a timely e-mail! Was hoping that someone would have some information on
Rachel: There might be some information of use to you here. This is the line
I'm working on at present.
Anyone else with information, please get in touch. This is the brick wall I
hit some time last year.
Most of the information comes from a booklet written by Dr. Joseph W. Evans
(JWE) and is found in the Rustburg Library, Campbell Co., VA. I have made
some notes as well (CSP). Information is far from complete, but I do have
additional info. on this line. Please e-mail me for it.
Descendants of Robert Lewis Franklin
Generation No. 1
1. ROBERT LEWIS1 FRANKLIN died 1770 in Bedford County, VA. He married JANE
Children of ROBERT FRANKLIN and JANE (LEWIS?) are:
2. i. ROBERT2 FRANKLIN, b. 1741, Bedford County, VA; d. December 09, 1831.
3. ii. OWEN FRANKLIN, b. Abt. 1740; d. August 12, 1794, Campbell County
4. iii. ELIZABETH FRANKLIN.
5. iv. THOMAS EDWARD FRANKLIN, b. September 1757; d. March 23, 1841.
6. v. LEWIS FRANKLIN II.
vi. HENRY E. FRANKLIN, m. SALLY DAVIS, June 04, 1788.
vii. JANE FRANKLIN.
Generation No. 2
2. ROBERT2 FRANKLIN (ROBERT LEWIS1) was born 1741 in Bedford County, VA, and
died December 09,
1831. He married JANE "JENNIE" LEWIS 1767.
Children of ROBERT FRANKLIN and JANE LEWIS are:
7. i. OWEN3 FRANKLIN, b. 1768-1770; d. February 21, 1831.
ii. JOHN M. FRANKLIN, b. 1778; d. January 07, 1857; m. NANCY ANN
DINWIDDIE, December 14,
1801, Campbell County Virginia.
Notes for JOHN M. FRANKLIN:
John and wife, Nancy Ann Dinwiddie lived in Tennessee and are buried at Mt.
County, TN. For her ancestry, see the book "Dinwiddie Family Records" by
Holladay-1957, Library of Congress number 57-9656.
8. iii. MARGARET "PEGGY" FRANKLIN, b. May 11, 1786; d. October 23, 1861.
9. iv. THOMAS FRANKLIN.
10. v. NANCY FRANKLIN.
11. vi. MARY "POLLY" FRANKLIN.
12. vii. SARAH "SALLY" FRANKLIN.
viii. ELIZABETH FRANKLIN, b. 1786; m. PETER NORTH, February 04, 1802,
Campbell County Virginia.
Notes for ELIZABETH FRANKLIN:
Moved to Dandridge, TN and then to Illonois
ix. ROBERT FRANKLIN , JR., b. 1792; d. Unknown.
Notes for ROBERT FRANKLIN , JR.:
Never married, no issue. Lived in Tennessee with his brother, Benjamin, who
was his trustee.
13. x. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, b. 1794; d. May 1855.
14. xi. LEWIS FRANKLIN III.
3. OWEN2 FRANKLIN (ROBERT LEWIS1) was born Abt. 1740, and died August 12,
1794 in Campbell
County Virginia. He married BETTY "ELIZABETH" STEELE.
Children of OWEN FRANKLIN and BETTY STEELE are:
15. i. ROBERT3 FRANKLIN, b. 1760; d. June 1854.
ii. ELIZABETH FRANKLIN, m. JOSEPH TWEEDY , JR., September 22, 1791,
Campbell County Virginia.
iii. JANE FRANKLIN, m. EDMUND WOOD, March 15, 1788, Campbell County
iv. JAMES M. FRANKLIN, b. 1779.
16. v. MARY "POLLY" FRANKLIN.
17. vi. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN, b. 1791.
vii. ISAAC M. FRANKLIN.
viii. NANCY FRANKLIN, b. 1785; d. November 24, 1844; m. JOHN ROBERTSON,
April 23, 1802.
ix. KESIAH FRANKLIN, m. JOHN WOOD, April 12, 1793, Campbell County
4. ELIZABETH2 FRANKLIN (ROBERT LEWIS1). She married PETER NORTH February
04, 1802 in Campbell
Children of ELIZABETH FRANKLIN and PETER NORTH are:
18. i. JAMES3 NORTH, b. Abt. 1804, Virginia.
ii. INFANT NORTH.
Notes for INFANT NORTH:
Died Young - sex unknown
19. iii. JOHN NORTH, b. Abt. 1806.
iv. MARTHA NORTH, b. Abt. 1807; d. 1833, Illinois; m. MICHAEL BRAWNER,
Aft. 1830, Tennessee.
Notes for MARTHA NORTH:
Moved from Tennessee to Illinois.
v. MARY JANE "POLLY" NORTH, b. Abt. 1813; m. WILLIAM PARKES, Tennessee.
Notes for MARY JANE "POLLY" NORTH:
Mary and husband William Parkes, migrated to Illinois via Indiana in 1836 and
buried children all
along the way. They had twelve children.
vi. ROBERT NORTH, b. Abt. 1814; m. AMERICA SCHMICK.
Notes for ROBERT NORTH:
Moved to Illinois in 1832. Had six children.
vii. ELIZABETH NORTH, b. Abt. 1815; d. Bef. 1854.
Notes for ELIZABETH NORTH:
Moved to Illinois before 1830 and died before 1854. Never married, no issue.
5. THOMAS EDWARD2 FRANKLIN (ROBERT LEWIS1) was born September 1757, and died
March 23, 1841.
He married (1) MARGARET "PEGGY" CAMPBELL July 06, 1779. He married (2)
LETTICIA "LETTY" EVANS
March 03, 1796 in Campbell County Virginia, daughter of THOMAS REES EVANS.
Children of THOMAS FRANKLIN and MARGARET CAMPBELL are:
i. CAMPBELL3 FRANKLIN.
Notes for CAMPBELL FRANKLIN:
Never married, no issue
ii. JUDY B. FRANKLIN, m. PREDUM MOORE, August 21, 1799.
iii. NANCY C. FRANKLIN, m. WILLIAM THOMPSON, November 19, 1807,
Campbell County Virginia.
Notes for WILLIAM THOMPSON:
William lived in Floyd County, VA at one time.
iv. ELIZABETH FRANKLIN, m. DAVID FLEMING, January 14, 1805, Campbell
v. JANET "JANE" FRANKLIN, m. JOHN FLEMING, March 15, 1804, Campbell
Notes for JANET "JANE" FRANKLIN:
She granted "Power of Attorney" to Thomas Franklin (most likely her father)
on Nov. 15, 1806 -
Campbell County Deed Book 7, page 592.
Children of THOMAS FRANKLIN and LETTICIA EVANS are:
20. vi. HENRY R.3 FRANKLIN, b. 1805; d. 1898.
vii. BRIDGET EVANS "BIDDY" FRANKLIN, b. January 10, 1798; d. March 15,
1862; m. MOSES HELM
CARSON, March 20, 1816, Campbell County Virginia.
Notes for BRIDGET EVANS "BIDDY" FRANKLIN:
Moses and Bridget were loyal members of Old Concord Presbyterian Church (Spout
Spring-Appomattox, VA area) and all their children were born on the home farm.
21. viii. MARGARET FRANKLIN, b. 1797.
22. ix. THOMAS EDWARD FRANKLIN, b. 1804.
6. LEWIS2 FRANKLIN II (ROBERT LEWIS1). He married MICHAEL "MICKEY" FERGUSON.
Children of LEWIS FRANKLIN and MICHAEL FERGUSON are:
23. i. JOHN3 FRANKLIN, b. November 06, 1776; d. November 10, 1862.
ii. THOMAS FRANKLIN.
Notes for THOMAS FRANKLIN:
Died young - - was afflicted.
iii. MILDRED "MILLY" FRANKLIN, m. ARTHUR LITCHFORD, March 13, 1794,
Notes for ARTHUR LITCHFORD:
His will recorded at the Campbell County Virginia Courthouse at Rustburg, VA.
Will Book 9, page
100. Sept. 11, 1838.
iv. KESIAH "HEZIAH" FRANKLIN, m. JOHN THOMPSON, November 10, 1796,
Notes for JOHN THOMPSON:
John and wife Kesiah or Heziah Franklin Thompson moved to Williamson County,
TN abt. 1817 and
he is buried there. See the Thompson family for more info.
Generation No. 3
7. OWEN3 FRANKLIN (ROBERT2, ROBERT LEWIS1) was born 1768-1770, and died
February 21, 1831. He
married ELIZABETH "MARY" ROPER December 25, 1798 in Chesterfield County, VA.
Child of OWEN FRANKLIN and ELIZABETH ROPER is:
24. i. LAWSON D.4 FRANKLIN, b. January 19, 1801; d. April 06, 1861.
8. MARGARET "PEGGY"3 FRANKLIN (ROBERT2, ROBERT LEWIS1) was born May 11,
1786, and died October
23, 1861. She married COL. JOHN ROSSER March 08, 1803 in Campbell County
Notes for COL. JOHN ROSSER:
both John and Margaret are buried in Dandridge, TN
Child of MARGARET FRANKLIN and COL. ROSSER is:
i. MARY4 ROSSER, m. GEORGE BRASSNER?.
9. THOMAS3 FRANKLIN (ROBERT2, ROBERT LEWIS1). He married (1) ? STORY. He
married (2) ?.
Notes for THOMAS FRANKLIN:
Settled in Tennessee
Children of THOMAS FRANKLIN and ? STORY are:
i. VALENTINE4 FRANKLIN.
ii. CAMPBELL FRANKLIN, m. REBECCA JACOBS.
iii. THOMAS FRANKLIN, m. LYDIA BRADSHAW.
10. NANCY3 FRANKLIN (ROBERT2, ROBERT LEWIS1). She married LAWRENCE B.
Notes for NANCY FRANKLIN:
This family may have moved to Georgia or Missouri in the early 1800's
Children of NANCY FRANKLIN and LAWRENCE STEARNS are:
25. i. DAUGHTER4 STEARNS.
ii. ROBERT STEARNS, m. ?.
Notes for ROBERT STEARNS:
Lived in Missouri
iii. DOLLY STEARNS, m. ? DAVIDSON.
iv. NANNIE STEARNS, m. (1) NATHAN MOON; m. (2) REV. FITCHER.
Notes for NANNIE STEARNS:
No issue from either husband
v. JOSEPH STEARNS.
Notes for JOSEPH STEARNS:
Never married, No issue
26. vi. HARRIETT STEARNS.
27. vii. GERERAL? STEARNS.
28. viii. JANE STEARNS.
11. MARY "POLLY"3 FRANKLIN (ROBERT2, ROBERT LEWIS1). She married THOMAS
Notes for MARY "POLLY" FRANKLIN:
Lived in VA
Children of MARY FRANKLIN and THOMAS JENNINGS are:
i. WILLIAM4 JENNINGS.
Notes for WILLIAM JENNINGS:
Lived near Concord, VA
29. ii. JOHN JENNINGS.
12. SARAH "SALLY"3 FRANKLIN (ROBERT2, ROBERT LEWIS1). She married (1)
THOMAS NORTH December
19, 1805 in Campbell County Virginia. She married (2) DANIEL S. LEONARD 1810.
Child of SARAH FRANKLIN and THOMAS NORTH is:
i. MARTHA O.4 NORTH, m. SMITH PAYNE TWEEDY, January 22, 1848.
13. BENJAMIN3 FRANKLIN (ROBERT2, ROBERT LEWIS1) was born 1794, and died May
1855. He married
Notes for BENJAMIN FRANKLIN:
Settled in McMinn County, TN near Chattanoga. All of their children were
born in VA.
Children of BENJAMIN FRANKLIN and NANCY ?? are:
i. MARY4 FRANKLIN, b. Abt. 1816; d. McMinn County, Tennessee; m. JOHN D.
HUGHES, May 08,
1839, Campbell County Virginia.
Notes for MARY FRANKLIN:
Did have issue (children) .