FRASER-L Archives

Archiver > FRASER > 2007-01 > 1169154818

From: "Christine Tregonning" <>
Subject: [FRASER] Fraser - Inverness-shire
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:16:41 +1300

Dear List Members,

I am hoping that there may be some FRASER researchers who may be able to
help me break through my Brick wall. My ancestor was Alexander FRASER a
Writer and Bank Agent from Fraserburgh in Aberdeen. Alexander was born
about 1768. The first known record of him in Fraserburgh was the baptism of
his eldest child Ann FRASER in 1800. Alexander appears to be either the
Brother or Brother in Law of a Donald FRASER from Kiltarlity in
Inverness-shire. The following is the known information re Donald FRASER
and his daughter Hannah that confirms the link to Alexander FRASER. Any
Information or helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Alexander FRASER died in Fraserburgh in 1829 and was survived by:

Ann (married William WATT)
Margaret (Unmarried)
Bathia (Married Henry Robinson LEVAY)
William (Unmarried)
Catherine (Married James LOVIE)
Mary (Married to George WALLACE)

Several other children died while young and a son James was a student at
Marischal College in Aberdeen in 1818 where he was enrolled in an arts
degree. Margaret William and Catherine emigrated to New Zealand where
William was the Company Secretary for the New Zealand Insurance Company when
it was established in 1859.

OPR Kiltarlity
1795 April 18

Mr Donald FRASER Tacksman of Balladown and Mrs Anne FRASER his spouse a
child born 26 Feby & baptised by the Rev Mr John FRASER named Hannah at
Belladrum in the presence of James FRASER Esq. of Belladrum and Colonel
MCKENZIE Esq. of Mountgerald.

OPR Fraserburgh
1800 September 7th

Alexander FRASER Agent for Aberdeen Bank in Town had a child baptized, named
ANN born August 30th before Witnesses George LIND Postmaster there and Capt.
Donald FRASER residing at Ballondoan in Kiltarlity. Mother Bathia CLUBB.

OPR Kiltarlity
1801 March 10th

Thomas FRASER and Marjory FRASER in Glasscarn (Glasscharn) bapt. Simon born
February 21st witness Donald FRASER Wright in Glasscarn and Mr. Donald
FRASER of Ballindoun.

1803 October 28th

James Hendry Mason in Foiness (Phoineas) and Catharine FRASER his spouse
bapt. George born 25th witness George Hutchan Mason in Kirkhill and Mr.
Donald FRASER in Ballindoun.

Inverness Courier 1836
May 25 1836 states on Page 3 Column 2 as follows.

Highland Property - At the Judicial Sale on the 18th of the estate of
Lakefield, in the neighbouring parish of Urquhart, it was, we understand,
purchased for Miss FRASER, Bruiach, at the upset price of £8000.

Inverness Journal

At Bruiach on the 20th instant Captain Donald FRASER, Tenant there

Extracts from the will of Captain Donald FRASER Tacksman of Bruiach written
by John MACTAVISH solicitor in Inverness and witnessed by the Reverend Colin
FRASER Minister of Kiltarlity and David GORDON Gardiner at Bruiach.

"All my rights and interest in a missive of lease or agreement entered into
between the now deceased Honourable Archibald FRASER of Lovat and me dated
the nineteenth day of March One Thousand Eight Hundred and Ten by which the
said Archibald FRASER interalia agreed to let me and my heirs the lands of
Bruiach and other lands thereon particularly mentioned all as then possessed
by me"

"Under the burden of the whole obligation .... by me in a post nuptial
contract of marriage entered into between me and Mrs Ann FRASER my wife
dated the fourth day of July One Thousand Seven Hundred and Ninety Seven"

Register of Sasines
March 30th, 1838:

Hannah FRASER of Lakefield seised 27 March 1838 in a Lot or Portion of the
lands of Haugh with the Dwelling House and other House thereon, parish of
Inverness, on Disp. by the Commissioner for John EDWARD, formerly Sheriff
Substitute of Inverness-shire, then Received General & Public Treasurer of
the Island of Jamaica. March 24, 1838.

May 8th, 1838
Thomas OGILVY of Corrimony, Merchant, Liverpool, Seised June 13, 1838 in the
lands of Easter and Wester Meiklies, comp. the farms of Lakefield,
Braefield, Inchvalgar and Dalmore, lop Urquhart. on Ch. Sale and Conf by the
Curator at Law, Lewis ALEXANDER , Earl of Seafield to Hannah FRASER of
Lakefield Dec. 29 1837 and Disp. and Assig. by her May 8, 1838.

Thomas OGILVY of Corrimony, Merchant, Liverpool Seised 13 June 1838 in the
Teinds of the lands of Easter and Wester Meiklies comp. the farms of
Lakefield, Braefield, Inchvalgar and Dalmore, lop Urquhart on Ch. Sale and
Conf by the Curator at Law, Lewis ALEXANDER, Earl of Seafield to Hannah
FRASER of Lakefield, May 8, 1838.

July 17th, 1838
Hannah FRASER late of Lakefield, now residing in Inverness seised July 7,
1838 in a lot of ground of the lands of Haugh now called Russel Place
containing 2 roods 12 fall Scots and Teinds; par. of Inverness on Disp. by
the Commissioner for John EDWARDS formerly Sheriff-substitute and Public
Treasurer of the Island of Jamaica. July 4, 1838

July 5, 1839
Hannah FRASER late of Lakefield now residing in Inverness, Seised 4 July
1839 in an arable field of land of old called an eight part of land above
the Barn Hill of Inverness and others, in security of £5000 in Bond and
disp. by Archibald Thomas Frederick FRASER of Abertarff to Dr. Alexander
ROSE, one of the Ministers of Inverness. Nov. 9, 1837 on Disp. and Assig.
by him May, 15 1839.

1841 Census

Piece: SCT1841/91
Place: Ardersier-Inverness-shire
Enumeration District: 2
Civil Parish: Ardersier
Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -Folio: 2 Page: 7
Address: Campbellton High Street

Surname
FRASER Hanah F 45 Independent Means born Inverness-shire
McGillivray Hanah F 30 Female Servant Born Inverness-shire
Grant Helen F 15 Female Servant Born Inverness-shire
Brown Ann F 14 Female Servant Born Overseas - Foreign

1851 Census

ED10 page 32
21 Ness Bank

Hannah FRASER head unm 55 Proprietoress of Railway Shares born Inv.
Kiltarlity
Ellen Grant serv. unm 28 Cook/Maid born Inv. Kiltarlity
Ann Brown unm 24 House Servant born Canada (?)

Inverness Advertiser
Tuesday, 18 November 1856
Page/Col Ref:7C

FRASER, Miss, 21 Ness bank, Inverness, late of Lakefield

Extract from the will of Hannah FRASER

"To Miss Margaret FRASER at Fraserburgh my Uncles daughter one hundred
pounds To her sister Mrs Bathia Levay at Mintley (Mintlaw - Longside)
Aberdeenshire one hundred pounds"

Tomnacross Cemetery (Kiltarlity), near church far side.

Sacred to the memory of Captn. DONALD FRASER of Bruiach who departed this
life 20th Augst 1836 aged 75 and his spouse ANN FRASER who departed this
life 5th April 1830 aged 72 and their daughter HANNAH FRASER who departed
this life 6th Novr 1856 aged 61

This thread: