FREEBMD-SYNDICATES-L Archives

Archiver > FREEBMD-SYNDICATES > 2004-07 > 1089399543

From: Derek C Hopkins <>
Subject: Re: +PAGE's for double page scans
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 14:59:07 -0400

Hi Allan

Your example is fine BUT on some double page scans the two
pages are not consecative. So in this case the instructions need to
reflect the +PAGE,nnn in the middle where nnn is the Page number of the
second scan and the +PAGE,nnn at the end, where nnn is the second page
number plus one (even if the second page was the last page of the quarter.)

At 09:47 AM 09/07/2004, Allan Raymond wrote:
>To Co-ordinators
>
>I thought I would run this past you before I arrange for either "Hints and
>Help Guide" or "Transcriber's Knowledge Base" to be changed, comments or
>suggested improvements to the wording is appreciated?
>
>The query revolves around double page scans (i.e. two Index pages to a
>scan). I've just noticed that some volunteers are not inserting a +PAGE to
>separate the two pages within the transcription.
>
>If the decision is taken to go down "Transcriber's Knowledge Base" route,
>I'm proposng the following addional Q & A.
>
>Q. What is the process for transcribing a double page scan (i.e. two index
>pages to a scan)
>
>A. You transcribe the scan as one file and name the file exactly as if was
>a one page scan.
>
>For example, the double page scan 1874b4-520 would have a file name
>1874B4W0520.
>
>You also need to add three +PAGEs, one at the start of the entries, one at
>the end of the entries and a further one in the middle of the entries to
>denote the end of the first index page and the start of the second.
>
>For example, the file for the double page scan 1874b4-520 would contain the
>following +PAGEs
>
>+PAGE,0520
>WAKEFIELD,Henry John,Coventry,6d,516
> other entries on first page down to
>WALGROVE,John William,"Bradford, Y",9b,258
>+PAGE,0521
>WALKER,Charles,W. Bromwich,6b,849
> other entries on second page down to
>WALKER,Martha Ann,Medway,2a,493
>+PAGE,0522
>
>Allan Raymond
>

>I th
>Sorry for the delay.
> >
> > You upload as one file with the appropriate +PAGE, to separate the actual
> > two pages of the Index.
> >
> > Thus, if you were transcribing a double page scan such as 1871B4-342.tiff.
> >
> > File name would be similar to 1871B40342.
> >
> > The file +PAGE's would be:
> >
> > +PAGE,0342
> > Owens,John etc
> > ... (other page 342 entries)
> > Page,Herbert Frank etc
> > +PAGE,0343
> > Page,Horace Archibald etc
> > ... (other page 113 entries)
> > Palmer,Emma etc
> > +PAGE,0344
> >
> > To add to the confusion the two page scan which I choose at random also
>has
> > Surnames "Page".
> >
> > How does my suggestion sound to you?
> >
> > To my recollection, we haven't given any advice on how to deal with two
>page
> > scans. I'll see of I can put some words together within the next day or so
> > Co-ordinators can thrash out by best approach.

>Need to get a fast answer to your transcribing problems? Go to the
>Transcribers Knowledge Base at http://FreeBMD.RootsWeb.com/vol_faq.html
>
>==============================
>Gain access to over two billion names including the new Immigration
> [...]

Cheers Derek

Derek C Hopkins, Phone +1(450)678-7768
6640, Biarritz, Fax +1(450)678-4252
Brossard, E-Mail
QC, Canada, J4Z-2A2.

==== FreeBMD - England and Wales - Birth - Marriage and Death Transcriptions
<http://FreeBMD.rootsweb.com>;

==== Check out FreeBMD Scan2 Syndicate page (revised daily)
Please bookmark our new home http://www.scan2.org/scan2.html

==== Check out QFHS Marriage Transcription Project page (revised daily)
(Quebec Family History Society)
Please bookmark our new home http://www.scan2.org/qfhs.html

Check out my web page (22jan1997) Last Revised 28 May 1998
<http://www.cam.org/~hopkde/index.html>;

Check out Abney Park Indexing Project (revised 14 MAR 2000, 195,000 names)
<http://www.cam.org/~hopkde/abney.html>;

Check out my web Ramsgate page
<http://members.adept.co.uk/hopkde>;

Check out the Quebec Family History web page
<http://www.cam.org/~qfhs/index.html>;

This thread: